Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

grey wire mod

Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #381
DJ01TACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Darrin
DJ01TACO's Tacoma Gallery
No grey wire cut!

I never wanted to do this mod because I was non fond of cutting a factory wire! So I figured out a way to do it without cutting it. Actually two ways. First way remove grey wire from the modular plug then I found a modular plug in the same area not in use I think its for the factory security system. So I removed one of the wires from the unused modular plug and cut it back 6 in. Then inserted it were I removed the grey wire from the 4wd mod plug and put a ring terminal on other end. When I reinstalled the 4wd control box I just put the ring terminal under the bolt for ground perfect and neat! Second way is remove grey wire from modular plug put shrink tube over end to protect. Now open the black 4wd control box and slide out circuit board (very easy to do) Now on the back of the plug on the circuit board on the bottom row of metal strips from plug solder a jumper to connect the two middle ones. One is from the grey wire the other is a ground. this is a very neat and professional way to do it! My only word of caution is taking the wires out of the modular plugs is a BITCH.
Enjoy
Darrin
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #382
Better not bring your kids
Cykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shedCykososhull is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cav Scout, Heavy Equip Op
Name: Charles
Cykososhull's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up. This was so simple. Why doesn't Toyota make it standard to use the locker in 2 wheel and 4 hi?
Old 10-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #383
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cykososhull View Post
Thanks for the write up. This was so simple. Why doesn't Toyota make it standard to use the locker in 2 wheel and 4 hi?
More than likely liability issues. Also if you try to engage the locker at any speed higher than about 10-15 mph it will strip the gears out on the motor.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #384
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
More than likely liability issues. Also if you try to engage the locker at any speed higher than about 10-15 mph it will strip the gears out on the motor.
Hmm, as far as I know the warning is to not go above 5mph when engaging the locker. At least by Toyota.

I just always come to a complete stop when engaging.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #385
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Hmm, as far as I know the warning is to not go above 5mph when engaging the locker. At least by Toyota.

I just always come to a complete stop when engaging.
Either way, I like to come to a complete stop as well. Seems to engage/disengage faster when coming to a complete stop vs. rolling.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #386
REEFDUP is a jewel in the roughREEFDUP is a jewel in the roughREEFDUP is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ron
REEFDUP's Tacoma Gallery
I done the grey wire mod! Simple easy mod that worked the first time I tried it before I put the kick panel back on. Tried it the other day in 4H,4LO and H 2 and now my diff lock light is blinking and my ABS light will come on
Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #387
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
This is one of the best mods you can do for free.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #388
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
It's good because it's free and makes drifting dirt roads even more fun
Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #389
NOOB
toneyc is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Logistics
toneyc's Tacoma Gallery
Hello all,

First time poster here. Been reading about this for awhile. Went out and did it today. Works great!

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #390
el taco is on a distinguished road
Name: david
el taco's Tacoma Gallery
i must do this now!!! (deep evil voice)
Old 10-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #391
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by el taco View Post
i must do this now!!! (deep evil voice)

Then go forth & grey wire my son (high pitched girly voice)
Old 11-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #392
Buck18 is on a distinguished road
Name: Buck
Buck18's Tacoma Gallery
Did this mod today. Easy as pie. 2001 DC 4wd limited. Worked like a charm. No ABS light.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #393
tacomawammer will become famous soon enough
Firefighter:
Name: wammer
tacomawammer's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod a couple weeks ago on a 2002 dc and since then every once in a while i smelled a slight scent of wires burning. I stuck my head down by the mod area and it seems its coming from there. After checking the splices i noticed the screw the ground is attached to was loose and i tightened it and couldnt see any obvious sign of wires melting. Could the ground have been the problem or did i mess something up. And yes i cut the grey wire and connected the right end. Any advice would be appreciated before my truck bursts into flames
Old 11-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #394
adventureseth is on a distinguished road
Name: seth
adventureseth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
What top speed do you guys do when locked?
Whats the top speed to use the locker at without causing damage?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #395
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Once it's engaged, you can go as fast as you like pretty much. Just as long as you're not trying to turn sharp on terrain that doesn't have any give.

It's the engagement process that you need to be under 5mph for. I just come to a complete stop before I engage or disengage my locker. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #396
hey thanks a bunch! engagement seems like a no brainer but i keep thinkin there mustve been a reason toyota had a lockout on the elocker.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureseth View Post
hey thanks a bunch! engagement seems like a no brainer but i keep thinkin there mustve been a reason toyota had a lockout on the elocker.
Just to keep you from grenading your rear diff probably. If you accidentally hit the locker button while going say 50mph, say goodbye to your rear end...
Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #398
Oof... Haha yeah that would be rough
Old 11-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #399
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomawammer View Post
I did this mod a couple weeks ago on a 2002 dc and since then every once in a while i smelled a slight scent of wires burning. I stuck my head down by the mod area and it seems its coming from there. After checking the splices i noticed the screw the ground is attached to was loose and i tightened it and couldnt see any obvious sign of wires melting. Could the ground have been the problem or did i mess something up. And yes i cut the grey wire and connected the right end. Any advice would be appreciated before my truck bursts into flames
Not really sure why you'd be smelling burning insulation & as far as loose ground screw I guess you could get a little sparking at the loose connection point but dont think it'd be enough arcing to start something to burn
Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #400
JLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee50 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Former NH LEO
JLee50's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Just to keep you from grenading your rear diff probably. If you accidentally hit the locker button while going say 50mph, say goodbye to your rear end...
If they say don't engage over 5mph, though, you can still easily do that in 4lo.