Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

grey wire mod

Old 11-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #401
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think I'd ever try to engage my locker on the fly, i always push the diff button at stand stll, then slowly apply gas for forward movement till gears line up & lock seems like doing it otherwise might be asking for ring gear chipping
Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #402
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
CohbsTaco's Tacoma Gallery
When the locker engages is the light still blinking? If I push the button it blinks really fast, but when I'm in 4 low and push it it blinks really slow? Dafuq???
Old 12-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #403
NOOB
toneyc is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Logistics
toneyc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CohbsTaco View Post
When the locker engages is the light still blinking? If I push the button it blinks really fast, but when I'm in 4 low and push it it blinks really slow? Dafuq???
My light blinks initially when I first engage the locker. After the locker engages the light stays solid. I can't recall it ever blinking really fast at any point whatsoever. Don't know what's going on with yours. Did this happen before you did the mod?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #404
CohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCohbsTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneyc View Post
My light blinks initially when I first engage the locker. After the locker engages the light stays solid. I can't recall it ever blinking really fast at any point whatsoever. Don't know what's going on with yours. Did this happen before you did the mod?
i havent done the mod i just was wondering because i dont think ive ever had my locker truly engaged.. i just got the truck and im wondering if its frozen up because the previous owner didnt even know what it was...
Old 12-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #405
NOOB
toneyc is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Logistics
toneyc's Tacoma Gallery
Yes sir, that could be your problem. Try pushing the locker button and driving forward and then in reverse at about 5 mph and see it it will engage. I live in Houston and the only time I really need mine is when I go to my deer lease in Louisiana so I make it a habit to engage mine at least once every two weeks to keep it from freezing.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #406
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, do wide s-turns forward and reverse. When I first got my truck it took a little while for it to engage. Now mine engages almost immediately.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Yeah, do wide s-turns forward and reverse. When I first got my truck it took a little while for it to engage. Now mine engages almost immediately.
Ya I went wheeling yesterday and I couldn't get it to engage for the life of me... Ughh
Old 12-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #408
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CohbsTaco View Post
Ya I went wheeling yesterday and I couldn't get it to engage for the life of me... Ughh
Another way to see if it's engaging it to take it off the housing and engage it while you can see the gears of the motor.

You have to be careful when re-installing the motor though. You must make sure to set the motor to disengage/off. Then make sure you pull the fork in the axle housing away from the center to the "unlocked" position.

I took mine apart when I was trying to figure out why mine got stuck in the locked position (Burnt wiring). Ever since I re-installed mine it has locked and unlocked smoother and faster than ever.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #409
I love tight cracks
climber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the rough

climber-420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Once it's engaged, you can go as fast as you like pretty much. Just as long as you're not trying to turn sharp on terrain that doesn't have any give.

It's the engagement process that you need to be under 5mph for. I just come to a complete stop before I engage or disengage my locker. Better safe than sorry.

Are you sure about this? "Once engaged, you can go as fast as you like?" If you are only to use it, while in 4Low, why would you use it going 40 or 50 MPH? Is it possible to go over 5MPH, and have it on? I know you are supposed to turn it on below 5MPH, and not over, but once turned on, you can go drive around on the highway and such at speeds greater than that???
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #410
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
You can on a highway that's straight or anything that isn't a sharp turn. If you try to turn at a decent speed with a locked rear differential on pavement (no give in terrain) one wheel will spin faster than the other resulting in faster tire ware in 2wd. Now try to drive with a locked rear diff in 4 high on pavement and you will likely risk drivetrain binding. Having a locked rear outside of 4wd is more for having fun than anything.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #411
I love tight cracks
climber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the rough

I was just thinking about driving to the mtns with snow, etc. I was just afraid to drive any faster than 5MPH with it on. Good to know that I can do 30MPH or so with it on, and not break anything.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #412
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah i think it isn't recommended to run 4 high and the locker on in snow though, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think it can cause the truck to behave unpredictably. You are safer either being just in 4hi, not locked, or 2high locked (behaving like a rwd car).
Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #413
I love tight cracks

Right right. Yeah I would not drive in 4Hi with the Locker actuated. Just in 2WD,with it on, or 4Lo. Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #414

Quote:
Another way to see if it's engaging it to take it off the housing and engage it while you can see the gears of the motor.

You have to be careful when re-installing the motor though. You must make sure to set the motor to disengage/off. Then make sure you pull the fork in the axle housing away from the center to the "unlocked" position.

I took mine apart when I was trying to figure out why mine got stuck in the locked position (Burnt wiring). Ever since I re-installed mine it has locked and unlocked smoother and faster than ever.
If the locker was disengaged when you pull it off you just need to replace the actuator the way you found it when you put it back on, correct? As long as you didn't try to disengage/engage the actuator while it was off?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
If the locker was disengaged when you pull it off you just need to replace the actuator the way you found it when you put it back on, correct? As long as you didn't try to disengage/engage the actuator while it was off?
How do you know what the issue is if you don't engage/disengage to actuator(gears) when the motor is off of the housing?

If you don't do that then there is no point in removing the locker motor. It's not hard to line everything back up, just a little trial and error for about 5-10 minutes.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #416

Quote:
How do you know what the issue is if you don't engage/disengage to actuator(gears) when the motor is off of the housing?

If you don't do that then there is no point in removing the locker motor. It's not hard to line everything back up, just a little trial and error for about 5-10 minutes.

Oh I know I was just asking just in case because I was pulling my non-working actuator and replacing it with a known working actuator from a donor truck. Tested out my grey wire mod tonight finally too :-)
Old 12-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #417
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber-420 View Post
Are you sure about this? "Once engaged, you can go as fast as you like?" If you are only to use it, while in 4Low, why would you use it going 40 or 50 MPH? Is it possible to go over 5MPH, and have it on? I know you are supposed to turn it on below 5MPH, and not over, but once turned on, you can go drive around on the highway and such at speeds greater than that???
Once engaged the speed limit is however fast the truck will go. I'm sure Pre-runner guys in the desert have gone much more the 40 or 50 in the sand with it locked.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #418
KerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud ofKerlyQ has much to be proud of
Name: Jared
KerlyQ's Tacoma Gallery
Did the mod. Locker worked great for a while. Now wont disengage. Any ideas?

Figured it out. wet connectors. nevermind....
Old 02-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #419
Paiza RIder
87Tcyota is on a distinguished road

Name: Joel
87Tcyota's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this mod as well works great
Old 02-05-2014, 03:22 AM   #420
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
Yeah i think it isn't recommended to run 4 high and the locker on in snow though, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think it can cause the truck to behave unpredictably. You are safer either being just in 4hi, not locked, or 2high locked (behaving like a rwd car).
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber-420 View Post
Right right. Yeah I would not drive in 4Hi with the Locker actuated. Just in 2WD,with it on, or 4Lo. Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

I dont know where you heard that , you can safely run your locker in 4hi or just in 2wd, if anything just dont have it engaged on pavement, either the locker or 4x mode..