Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

grey wire mod

Old 06-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #161
mortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant future

Name: Michael
mortuusangelus's Tacoma Gallery
Which green Taco? Mine?

If you mean mine.. then they're just a set that I picked up at Walmart. Helps keep the cloth seats clean.. though they don't fit so great.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #162
GEENYUSS is on a distinguished road
GEENYUSS's Tacoma Gallery
will this work on a 2010?
Old 06-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #163
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEENYUSS View Post
welcome to tw.

to answer your question....no. its a different deal altogether for the 2nd gens.....but it IS doable.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #164
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEENYUSS View Post
did a quick search and found this thread. the instructions for the 2nd gen grey wire mod are in the third post. hope this helps!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #165
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys a lil help please....ready to finish this mod that I started a while back, but didnt finish cuz I'm kinda color blind. Ok the issue is that my plug doesnt look like the one above. it has four on top and six on the bottom. Yes it is the 4wd computer plug. My lady found me the grey wire. Just wondering if any of you had the samething before i cut....03' TRD
Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #167
17hmrtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: jake
17hmrtaco's Tacoma Gallery
i understand that prerunners have the lockers are able to engage with just the push of the button. i just dont understand y toyots would do the whole has to be in 4 low to engage the locker on 4wds, i see that some people say its toyota covering there ass but if this was the case y would they put them on the prerunners and make it posibe for them to be enabled by going under 5mph. could someone plz help me understand this. it just worries me that something will fry or something thanks
Old 07-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #169
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Washington View Post
I just have a true trac so I dont have this issue.
So you guys might as well run welded diffs?
no need to run welded diffs.....we can lock/unlock anytime with the grey wire mod.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #170
veg hed is on a distinguished road
Army: Red Leg
veg hed's Tacoma Gallery
I just did the grey wire mod! The only issue I saw was there were a few different colored wires than the write up but the grey wire was still grey. My diff used to take forever to lock with a bunch of rocking back and forth, now it locks in like 2 seconds. Awesome...
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #171
04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
04trd4x4AL's Tacoma Gallery
so let me get this straight...All you gotta do is cut the number 8 ping(gray wire) and ground the end that comes out the connector and tape up the other end? This sounds to easy.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #172
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04trd4x4AL View Post
so let me get this straight...All you gotta do is cut the number 8 ping(gray wire) and ground the end that comes out the connector and tape up the other end? This sounds to easy.
yup thats it. it's stupid simple.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #173
mortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant futuremortuusangelus has a brilliant future

Yup, stupid simple.. I love the KISS method.

And it's damn fun.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #174
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
takes more time to get tools than it does to do the mod
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #175
04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold04trd4x4AL is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
04trd4x4AL's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I will def have to do this now. I'm always afraid of doing some wiring stuff cause I normally tear shit up....
Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #176
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04trd4x4AL View Post
Ok I will def have to do this now. I'm always afraid of doing some wiring stuff cause I normally tear shit up....
just be careful, take your time and dont cut the wire too close to the connector.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #177

Yes, leave yourself enough wire on both sides so you can splice back together if ever needed. (i.e. selling it back to the dealer and you get paranoid.. lol)
Old 08-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #178
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
takes more time to get tools than it does to do the mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto932 View Post
yup thats it. it's stupid simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENIOR TACOROJO View Post
well I just went for and cut it.....worked perfect.

x10 to all the above, just did it in like about 15-20 mins. Now when i offroad with the pre runner guys they can't cry & bitch " uhhg , you have 4 wheel drive."

Thanks Green Bean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFZ6CmI0Bc
Attached Thumbnails
grey wire mod-web-dsc02523.jpg   grey wire mod-web-dsc025151.jpg   grey wire mod-web-dsc02524.jpg  
Old 08-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #179
iDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the rough

Name: Luke
iDigTulsa's Tacoma Gallery
That Was Easy...

Done....It is almost scary that it really does take longer to round up the necessary tools to complete this "truck transforming" mod then it does to complete the mod itself.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #180
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17hmrtaco View Post
i understand that prerunners have the lockers are able to engage with just the push of the button. i just dont understand y toyots would do the whole has to be in 4 low to engage the locker on 4wds, i see that some people say its toyota covering there ass but if this was the case y would they put them on the prerunners and make it posibe for them to be enabled by going under 5mph. could someone plz help me understand this. it just worries me that something will fry or something thanks
I don't get it either... if a rear locker is okay to use in 2WD on a 2WD only truck, then why do they make it only work in 4-LOW on a 4WD truck? Perhaps to encourage you to use 4WD more when you need extra traction (lube the parts and all)? If you got 4WD, then use 4WD... I almost did this mod, until I came to the conclusion that I LIKE being in 4WD... and with TRAC and A-TRAC, I don't need the rear locker.

(it is kind of cool to have more options, however!)

Without the rear locker in H2 and H4, I still have 9 options for drive modes:

2010 TRD OFF-ROAD 4WD with Hydraulic Brake Booster and 9 drive modes:
1) 2WD: VSC and TRAC active, engine regulated ('Limited Slip Lite').
2) 2WD: 'AUTO LSD' ('TRAC OFF MODE'). No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.
3) 2WD: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differential').
4) 4WD-Hi: VSC and TRAC active. No engine regulation for 'strong' limited slip.
5) 4WD-Hi: 'VSC OFF MODE' (TRAC is off for 'open differentials').
6) 4WD-Lo: VSC and TRAC are both off in L4 ('open differentials').
7) 4WD-Lo: 'A-TRAC' on gives a 'locker-like, super strong' limited slip, front and rear.
8) 4WD-Lo: Rear Differential Locked and open front differential (A-TRAC off).
9) 4WD-Lo: RR DIFF LOCK + A-TRAC on, 3 MPH limit.