Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ATF fluid change/flush

Old 07-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
notslow is on a distinguished road
notslow's Tacoma Gallery
Question ATF fluid change/flush

Hey guys, I decided I should change the trans fluid since I don't know when the previous owner did it if at all. I did some searches and found out to change all of the fluid I need to flush the system by draining from the cooler return line and refilling 2 quarts at a time.

I just want to be clear about a few things before I start this mess.

1. Mobile 1 synthetic ATF says that it is T-IV compliant. Any reason I shouldn't use it? I prefer long life synthetic fluids

2. I have a 2002 TRD 3.4, does it have the trans cooler? I assume it would, but want to be sure before crawling under there.

3. How many quarts of fluid do I really need? I have heard as high as 16 quarts

As always, thanks for all the great advise
Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
The tranny for the 5vz-fe doesn't have an OEM trans cooler, if there is one then it is an aftermarket one. If you're doing a complete flush (not recommended if the fluid hasn't been changed in a loooooooog time), yes it takes 16 16 quarts. If you're just doing a drain and refill then it only take 3-4 quarts. There is no replaceable filter in the pan. Just remove it and clean it out.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
with the mobil1, although its good and says its compatible, i have heard that its not too good to replace the t4 fluid with. amsoil has some new stuff out that supposedly replaces it, but again, not totally sure if it will be as good as the t4. the transmissions have a built in cooler, but you can always do as im about to and run an auxiliary cooler. as for how many quarts total......not totally sure, but 16 sounds about right.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
johnnyboy is on a distinguished road

Marines:
johnnyboy's Tacoma Gallery
I have an '01 with the 5VZ with over 150K. Just did the drain and fill from the pan and got just over 1 qt out...weird???

I bought her used with 140K already and have no idea what the previous owners did. I used Mobil 1 syn ATF, along with adding a trans cooler in there, and I don't think they've even touched the trans dept. Now, she leaks just a small bit, but not too much to keep filling her up. I got some help on one of these forums that because I swithed to sythetic, it probably "cleaned" the spots where it "sealed" the small leak. She's running good now and I've had to just add about another qt to compensate for the trans cooler. But this is just my truck, good luck on yours. cheers.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
2toys is on a distinguished road
2toys's Tacoma Gallery
I will need to get into my fluids soon. What ATF do I need for my '01 2.7 auto? Been reading, but it seems there is mixed suggestions and a rumor of a fluid change from -02 to +03? TIA
Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
johnnyboy is on a distinguished road

Marines:
johnnyboy's Tacoma Gallery
I'd suggest going with the stock stuff. I called my local stealership here and they said "we don't carry them"...<--WTF!!! Anyways, I went with Mobil 1 syn ATF from the local auto store only because they were abundant everywhere!

Keep in mind, synthetics might "clean" a bit too much causing a small leak as I did from my post ^. If your's is an '01 like mines, it should be dex-III (check the dip stick) cheers.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
2toys is on a distinguished road
2toys's Tacoma Gallery
OK, just to re-visit this as I'm changing fluids tomorrow. DipStick says Dex-II! I've looked at it a number of times and its Dex-II. Does that sound right?

I picked up Mobile 1 ATF and will drain and add, but I wonder if someone changed the DipStick somewhere along the way...

Well, yep Dex-II. It also repeats the fluid type on the drain plug.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I was never to keen on the idea of mixing transmission fluids, I am no chemist, but mixing of chemicals can't be good, if you were to flush a trans along with the torque converter there still is fluid burned into the clutch packs, only if I were to do a total rebuild would I change from the OEM fluid. My $.02
Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone ever think of maybe looking in the owners manual for the fluid type? I think Toyota may have an idea of what fluid to use Maybe
Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift96 View Post
Anyone ever think of maybe looking in the owners manual for the fluid type? I think Toyota may have an idea of what fluid to use Maybe
What a crazy idea. Look in the owner's manual to see what kind of fluids to use? Next you will expect us to see when we should change our oil and what octane gasoline to use.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
shift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to beholdshift96 is a splendid one to behold
shift96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnone View Post
what a crazy idea. Look in the owner's manual to see what kind of fluids to use? Next you will expect us to see when we should change our oil and what octane gasoline to use.
lol!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
montanabay is on a distinguished road
montanabay's Tacoma Gallery
the Dex are all forward compatible, so if your trans was designed for Dex-II, Dex III, IV, and VI will work, but if your trans was designed for Dex-VI, you should not put in Dex II, III, IV.

My 1995.5 2.7L 4WD Auto says Dex-II on the dipstick, right now it as Dex-III in it, tomorrow I'm putting in Dex-VI (Valvoline synthetic). I'll let you know how it goes.