Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thinking about building my truck into a Tornado chaser...

Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Braaaaap!
Motoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to behold

Name: Caleb
Motoknuckle's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about building my truck into a Tornado chaser...

Well...I've always been into Tornados. Lately this summer I've already chased around 5 storms all that have produced tornados.

I got to thinking about it and was throwing around the idea of building my truck up to take on some of these storms.

Anyone else into this type of thing?

I know a CB would be a good idea...as well as turning my laptop into a more portable radar device.

Just typing out some of my ideas.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
well that would require alot of ballistic strength glass. and reinforced metal
Old 07-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Braaaaap!
Motoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to beholdMotoknuckle is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
well that would require alot of ballistic strength glass. and reinforced metal
I'm not talking about driving into the storms.

Every time I go out I'm at least a mile away from the tornado. No debris has been around me at all.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
oh ok then. well definitely a good cb. Cobra 25 series or a 29 LTD with nightwatch and weather would be a good one. and a good antenna. Wilson is a good one. or a monkey made. firestik is good too. it all depends on where you want to mount it to get the best recepton. and would you want it peaked and tuned?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
I used to be in the Sky Warn for my county and i loved it. I chased several storms and finally got to see 1 tornado. I was about a mile and a half away from an F-5 that came through but luckily my truck only got minor hail damage. It's harder to see storms in this part of the country because of the terrain.

As far as your truck goes i would somehow rig up something to protect your front windsheild from hail, like maybe some expanded metal that mounts to a frame on your roof. When you start getting close to the storm you could extend it over your glass. I don't have any pics but i've seen that setup on the discovery channel when professionals chase.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
LARGE Member
BLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura aboutBLUVVV has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bryce
BLUVVV's Tacoma Gallery
No, your good if you just leave it stock...you've seen the commercials...off a cliff, into the ocean, Lockness monster, a dragon, and even a meteor! So a tornado will be child's play... haha GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
for radar software check out http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3/. i thought about doing this not to long ago myself.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

also i would get a Ham radio licence
Old 07-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Braaaaap!

I'm not saying I don't expect damage. It's a truck....not a show vehicle (unlike some of you mall crawlers on here)

I just wanted some info on some good CB's (thanks beastlytaco) and some other bits a pieces I might need from some more experienced chasers.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Braaaaap!

I've used this site before.

It's the guys from Discovery channel...I've actually followed them once but stopped due to lack of gas.

http://www.tornadovideos.net/full-sc...aser-video.php
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoknuckle View Post
I've used this site before.

It's the guys from Discovery channel...I've actually followed them once but stopped due to lack of gas.

http://www.tornadovideos.net/full-sc...aser-video.php
Large capacity fuel cell, rollcage, and harnesses. You don't plan on getting in the middle of a storm but the storm may have other plans for you.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Braaaaap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Large capacity fuel cell, rollcage, and harnesses. You don't plan on getting in the middle of a storm but the storm may have other plans for you.
Granted I'd love to do that....this truck is still my DD.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I would watch the movie "Twister" over and over for a start! All you need is a Dodge 1/2 ton, and Bill Paxson.

But on a serious note, that is cool stuff. You will probably be spending a lot of time down here in Kansas if you are chasing nado's!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Braaaaap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'd get your head examined....Getting that close to a tornado puts you at risk of all kinds of effects- Large hail, spinoffs, and storm re-direction- to name a few.

I vote for the harnesses too!!

Not if you're smart about it.

It's all about location. 99% of storms around here move to the east/northeast...being in a safe yet close location is just fine.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #16

http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21078

this might be some helpful information
Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #17
Braaaaap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21078

this might be some helpful information
Thanks man!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
What about some sort of mount for a laptop....or an in dash screen with an attached keyboard....tools access the radar maps.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
Braaaaap!

I've been looking at my GPS website and trying to get the weather put on that.

That way I won't have to lug my laptop around...I can just use my GPS system.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

I think this sounds like a cool idea. You may want to do a google search of this and do your research on how to make it as safe as possible for you. If I were to do this I would have a 4x4 truck, extra spare tire, a car breakdown/emergency kit, extra gas cans, and many things like that. I would also make sure my car is in top mechanical working form so it has less of a chance of breaking down. But I think the best thing you can do is the research and try to talk to some of these guys that have done this before.