1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

center air vents not blowing out ?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Slick8810, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Jul 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    Slick8810

Slick8810 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    3" lift, 20% tint, billet grille
    my side vents by the windows are blowing out really good but the two above the cd player are barely blowing out. what can cause that? Has this happened to anyone on there first gen tacoma?

2. Jul 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    trix_17

trix_17 New Member

Member:
    mine do that too. I don't know why.

Anyone know?

3. Jul 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    I noticed that my center vents don't blow very much while the fan selector is set to floor AND dash. If I set it on dash only all vents work fine. Also, the plumbing under the driver's side dash had come apart. I have plans to fix it better and insulate it better but have to many irons in the fire right now (facing a move to DC).
    Try switching to dash only, see if that makes a difference.

Derek P

4. Jul 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    duct work behind the dash might be bad. just an idea though

5. Jul 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    lsntennis

lsntennis New Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5 Extended
    I had the same problem, air wouldn't come out of the left center vent. I simply took off the slider knobs by pulling on them for the temp controls and popped out the panel with a flat-head. There are two screw which hold the center cluster panel trim in. One on is the right side of the unit, the other is angled and in the top left corner. Once I took these two screws off, i used my flat-head to remove the trim. With the trim off you can pull out the air vents, which also exposes the in-dash cd player if you want to replace it with an aftermarket one. The diffuser was simply off the track and pointing to the right so if sent all the air in through the center right vent. I aligned the diffuser and re-inserted the vents. Snap the trim back on, insert the screws, put the temp panel back on, and finally re-install the control slider knobs. It took me only 5 or 10 minutes to do.

6. May 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    abbywig

abbywig Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Beaverton,Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma
    I've read a number of different ideas and here's what I did and I had the vents out in 2-3 minutes. Used some needle nose pliers and pulled on the vent while I used a slot screw driver and inserted it in the side of the vent and pried out while pulling with the needle nose pliers. Voila, it popped out !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Bill

7. Mar 10, 2017 at 12:59 PM
    Bobby_B

Bobby_B New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
    Bug shield, somewhat worthless Nerf bars, rigged gas pedal, Jimmy rigged battery receptacle, and a Gaylord tonneau cover.
    I have the same issue. IsnTennis posted a good reply, but I think my issue may be deeper. The only vents that blow on any setting is the bottom vents and then 6th e side vents a bit. I get nothing out of my middle vents and defroster. The defroster is my biggest concern since I'm moving to the South and I'll definitely need that in working order. Any others have this issue? I'm not sure if it's a 1st gen issue or if something busted back there.

8. Dec 5, 2020 at 3:25 PM
    Natopotatox

Natopotatox New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vehicle:
    2003 Black Tacoma Prerunner Xtracab V6
    Led headlights + Taillights Smokey headlights and taillights Blacked out bumper
    Anyone ever figure this out why?

Products Discussed in

To Top