Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

catalytic converter

Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Mean Green Machine
98yota is on a distinguished road

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
catalytic converter

it might be just me, but i dont see the point of a converter. they say it turns carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide but i dont think thats true, i think its the other way around. ive had a hint of C02 b4 from chemistry class a few years back and my friends camaro has his gutted and thats exactly what it smells like. carbon monoxide is very harmful compared to carbon dioxide. i mean i want to buy a catback so its still legal, but all im saying is that all it is is a huge money racket and it just seems pointless to me. im sorry if i made any enviromentalist mad on this forum, but i thought C02 was better than C monoxide. if im wrong feel free to correct me, no hard feelings at all i just like to express my opinion
Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
They're both bad for the environment.

Besides - doesn't matter anyway. The CAT is there for a reason and illegal to run without it. There's a lot of engineers and government officials who developed the exhaust/emissions systems (and continue to develope it). including the CAT. Not to mention - engineers who developed the computer controlling systems and all its sensors (including O2 sensors) to tell your truck how run more efficiently.

I'm sure those engineers are pretty well educated in physics and the exhaust gases (& environmental issues/regulations) that they've designed the CAT a certain way for a reason.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Mean Green Machine
98yota is on a distinguished road

98yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
They're both bad for the environment.

Besides - doesn't matter anyway. The CAT is there for a reason and illegal to run without it. There's a lot of engineers and government officials who developed the exhaust/emissions systems (and continue to develope it). including the CAT. Not to mention - engineers who developed the computer controlling systems and all its sensors (including O2 sensors) to tell your truck how run more efficiently.

I'm sure those engineers are pretty well educated in physics and the exhaust gases (& environmental issues/regulations) that they've designed the CAT a certain way for a reason.
yea man, i know exactly what you mean. they are prolly finding ways of making the exhaust gases less toxic to the enviroment, and some people have told me you gut ur converter ur CEL will come on, and some have told me after they did it they have never seen it to this day. i think it all just depends on the make and model of your vehicle and how advanced the technology is in your vehicle, and like i said i want to do it the legal way with a cat back rather than getting busted because knowing my luck i would lol.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK is on a distinguished road
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BrianPK
not to mention, it wouldn't pass emissions without the cat. whether or not you get pulled over or your light comes on isn't really the big deal. it's good for the environment too.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
95.5taco will become famous soon enough95.5taco will become famous soon enough

95.5taco's Tacoma Gallery
cutting the cat

hey guys i am in canada and we don't have heavy emissions laws like you guys in the states and especially in Cali.....i am putting headers on my truck in the next month but am debating to cut the cat right out, again i don't know if the light will come on however would it not still work if you still put the 2Xo2 sensors back in the pipe. High flow cats are brutally expensive, the one I am looking at is more expensive than my muffler and some of the pipe! Any words of wisdom are a help thanx!
Old 12-12-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
colttsi is on a distinguished road
colttsi's Tacoma Gallery
95.5taco : If you don't put your converter, you will have a CEL that says catalytic converter low efficiency because the second oxygen sensor is not supposed to fluctuate as much as the first one.
By the way I'm from Québec city in Canada and worked in a speed shop that was specialized in electronic diagnostic and performance, programmable computer...etc... so we don't have emissions laws either.
Also, if you don't put a converter it is going to affect the sound of your exhaust system and you may not like it. Usually without a converter it sounds like a metal can. The converter gives you a quieter more oem sound that's not gonna get on your nerves.