Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2WD to 4WD

Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
fjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shed
fjrmurph's Tacoma Gallery
2WD to 4WD

Hi
I'm new here, i've had Toyota trucks and i'm looking for another one. I found a 2003 Tacoma with TRD package but its 2WD does anyone know if i can change it to 4WD? Is the frame the same? Can change the transmission put in front end drive axels and a front drive shaft?

THKS
Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
think it would be cheaper to get a 4x4
Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Yeah it can be converted to 4x4, Pray4Surf on ttora.com did it to his and i think Hillbilly_young as well.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
There's a few people who've done it. If you have the time, money, resources and know-how then anything is possible, but it would be wiser to just get a 4x4.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:09 AM   #6
fjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjrmurph is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
Yes but it is a great price on the two wheel drive, and around here 4WD's are as scarce as hens teeth
Old 07-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
dont know where you live, but in atlanta it took be 6+ months of searching before i found a 4x4 with under 120k (miles) that i could afford. so i know you pain. Try crazedlist.org (you have to have firefox or it will not work)
Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
jj95 is on a distinguished road
jj95's Tacoma Gallery
you would have to put a front end in it change the transmission and driveshaft then the find a rearend because 2wds are geared different
Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
white+Peal has a spectacular aura aboutwhite+Peal has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kris
white+Peal's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to white+Peal
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
There's a few people who've done it. If you have the time, money, resources and know-how then anything is possible, but it would be wiser to just get a 4x4.
x2
Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
yep.
FWIW theres people out there who have done it for $1000

If you have the time and resources go for it.
Frame is the same don't worry about it, you'd need:
Transmission w/ transfer case
4WD read drive shaft
front CV shafts
Front diff
and all the linkage

Do some reasearch, there is a whole subfourm on ttora.com relating to the conversion.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:29 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
FWIW theres people out there who have done it for $1000

If you have the time and resources go for it.
Frame is the same don't worry about it, you'd need:
Transmission w/ transfer case
4WD read drive shaft
front CV shafts
Front diff
and all the linkage

Do some reasearch, there is a whole subfourm on ttora.com relating to the conversion.
THKS TacoNut

I looked at a 2004 Tacoma last night. Truck has a lot of light scratches, no big deal, But it has gravel guard along the bottom under the doors and the guys swears the truck has never been painted. I didn't think they would come from the factory with gravel guard on them????