Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???

Old 07-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....??? Updated with PIC's.

I want to rig up a "temporary" rack to haul my canoe around. Something like a ladder rack would be perfect, but I want it to remove easy. I only will use it when I carry the canoe. Any ideas...??

Love to see pics of your Canoe or Kayak mounted on your truck.

I just added PICs. No rack yet, still looking. My canoe is 17+ feet long. It's light, but long, as you can see...LOL

Old 07-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My girlfriend's family has an 02 Tacoma and they used something like a bike rack that came out of the hitch, but a little taller. They also had a roof rack that it rested on. I'll try to see if I have pics somewhere.

Edit: Here is a similar pic to what they have.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
I do kayaks not canoes but its all the same. Personally I use this as do MANY of my customers and clients.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...h-Truck/Detail

Just slide it in the bed of the truck and flag it, Works awesome and super easy to load/unload the boats. I have hauled 5 at a time to my freight office in my 99 extracab.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my set-up on my 04.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???-p2040004.jpg   Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???-p2040001.jpg  
Old 07-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
I built a rack out of 1" tubing that sits in the back of my truck and I have turn buckles that I hook on the tie down hooks Ill put a pic on here in a second
Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota

Heres a pic of my rack if thats what your wanting to build let me know ill send you more details and better pics.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
Cap is on a distinguished road

Cap's Tacoma Gallery
I've got 4 foam blocks that I use to attach the canoe to the roof of my double cab. This setup also worked for my xtra cab - because the surface area was ample for a 14 foot canoe. Let me know if you want more information or pictures. I will be loading the canoe up tomorrow night and I can snap a few pics to show it looks.

I will be buying a roof rack within the next few weeks so the foam blocks will be no longer be needed.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Well these aren't cheap but they'll haul 450lbs of whatever you strap down on them & they secure to the bedrails. 2 kayaks or longboards or lumber or ladders etc etc. Very secure hauling & adjustable height...........

Oh, Thule 422XT Xsporter
Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
spasur is on a distinguished road
spasur's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Well these aren't cheap but they'll haul 450lbs of whatever you strap down on them & they secure to the bedrails. 2 kayaks or longboards or lumber or ladders etc etc. Very secure hauling & adjustable height...........

Oh, Thule 422XT Xsporter
do you have a link? where did you get those things? and how expensive were they? I assume they are easily removable like the OP was looking for?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
spasur is on a distinguished road
spasur's Tacoma Gallery
you're right, those things aren't cheap!!

http://www.autoanything.com/bike-racks/61A1762A0A0.aspx
Old 07-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiikeyD View Post
i think ive seen those at auto stores. they are universal, try autoanything.com
Somewhat universal, except for the adapters that hook into the Tacoma bedrails.

They aren't cheap but autoanything is close to what I paid at racks.com (538) + 44 for adapter kit then 35.00 for rack pads + some more for straps + some more for cable locks. Other than these 2 places, most others had them from 600-650 for just the racks.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werloc View Post
I want to rig up a "temporary" rack to haul my canoe around.
I also have this for the longboard so I don't have to use the Thule Racks in pic above. front would sit down in bed against the front & sit on top of this on the tailgate. It has a strap to hold it in place on tailgate & around the canoe, or whatever you haul. It could also work for many other things than a surfboard or canoe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXTRA-WIDE-Truck...3286.m20.l1116
Old 08-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
markustyson is on a distinguished road
markustyson's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I am building right now. I'll post pics if it works out!
http://austinrosel.com/woodworking/woodblog/?p=15
Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #15
TacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBelle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoBelle's Tacoma Gallery
I use this for my ladders...works good.
Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???-ladder.jpg

Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???-rack.jpg
Old 08-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #16
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Thule Xsporters on my 06 AC cab and love them, real quick removal also, definately worth the cash.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
Here are two picks of the rack I made. Cost me about $30 in wood and bolts.
Setup worked well on the first trip, however, I decided that I didn't like the front being tied down, so I shifted the canoe back, and strapped the front seat down through my cab (to secure the bow)
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???-p1010725.jpg   Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???-p1010727.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #18
rmahoneybiz is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
rmahoneybiz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to rmahoneybiz
Simple Canoe Setup

I built this out of two pieces of 2 x 6, four foam blocks and a four pack of tie downs from Costco.

The front portion of the canoe rest on 4 pieces of foam you can find at any camping store, Walmart, whatever. The main strap goes from the two bed loops at the corners of the bed and threads through the A-frame (which rests on the bed cutouts) and locks the back of the canoe in place. Two 1-inch eyehole bolts under the top of the A-Frame stabilize with two more tie downs that run to the front rails of the bed. Lastly run a tie down to the front and one over the middle of the canoe and it's locked tight.

System works great, handles 70-80 mph without a problem. Almost no obstruction of vision through the back as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???-img_0092.jpg   Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???-img_0091.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Looks good!

I'm really happy i went the DIY wood mod too. Now I have a rack to store the canoe on over the winter!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Mountainwolfpup does...You may want to see his set up.