1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration/ wobble at mid range speeds.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Huntgrrl, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Jul 26, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    Huntgrrl

Huntgrrl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Regular cab 2.7L 4x4
    Sambar stag antler shifter, goat roper seat covers, janky campershell I got for free, line-x'd bed, bilstiens, tow package, cracked windshield....c'mon I bounce around in the desert all day, no room for beauty contests...even though I like my truck any way she comes.
    Hi there, my truck has a vibration/wobble at midrange to higher speeds (65mph.) I have heard about this being an issue with other rigs. Not sure if anyone knows what it might be. The truck does not shimmy, but the steering wheel and everything else in the cab vibrates. I have checked my drive line and it seems sound. I noticed it half way from California to Minnesota on my last big move for school. Any suggestions. 2001 4x4 regular cab 5 speed manual. In addition, I need new springs in the rear, heavier/stiffer ones because I make big moves often with heavier loads. Any suggestions, I have bilstein shock all around, they are fairly new.

Let me know what you think, thanks

mj

2. Jul 26, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    recently had tirework done? check the lugs, and balance on the tires. How many miles? rear ujoints make the truck vibrate sometimes.

3. Jul 26, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    Timicha

Timicha Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    i have a 96 regular cab that does the same thing. i've had the tires balanced like 8 times and it hasn't helped. i'm gonna try changing my u joints and see if that makes a difference. If you figure it out be sure to let me know

4. Jul 26, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    bama113

bama113 New Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2000 stock 4x4
    This may not apply to you but Ill give it a shot. I don't know if you've ever taken your truck through mud, but i noticed that there is a ring on the inner side of my 00 4x4 base steel wheels that collect mud and isn't very noticeable. Once i finally figured it out and removed the dirt (not an easy task), the death wobble was gone.

5. Jul 26, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Or lift the front of the truck and check to see if your inner tie rod has play. Mine is new, but the rack has play at the very end by the tie rod like a bearing is bad. Looking to see if there is some adjustment I can do with the spring cap...

6. Jul 26, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    Robbsolid

Robbsolid Zombie Killer

Member:
    ABQ, N.M.
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SuperWhite DBL Cab
    Plastic X'd Flares, deck plate mod, Thrush welded muffler, graphite painted wheels, relocated turn signals, fogs in bumper
    i have pretty much the same thing, i am trying to learn to deal with it. aint happening

7. Jul 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    Ya, I really don't feel like replacing the $400 rack, I doubt it can get any worse. I don't get any shaking or wobbling, just vibrations in the steering wheel.

8. Jul 27, 2009 at 7:12 AM
    Huntgrrl

Huntgrrl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Regular cab 2.7L 4x4
    Sambar stag antler shifter, goat roper seat covers, janky campershell I got for free, line-x'd bed, bilstiens, tow package, cracked windshield....c'mon I bounce around in the desert all day, no room for beauty contests...even though I like my truck any way she comes.
    I used a hot water pressure washer to clean out the innerportion of the wheel, so I do not think that would be an issue but I will look. I had a work truck do that once. I hit an ice chest once...long story, and it might have something to do with it, but my buddy has the same problem with his truck and never hit and Ice chest :). Anyhow, I will look in to the suggested. Any suggestions on a good pair of rear leaf springs, or a reputable online dealer. I bought my Bilstein shocks through a website that someone suggested on here and can't remember the site. I will keep you all posted.

9. Jul 28, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    HARDSHELLTACO

HARDSHELLTACO HoofHearted

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    If I were a betting man my money would be on the tires. I had a crazy vibration, shake, wobble what ever you want to call it. I switched from running an 8 or 10 ply tire to like a 4 ply tire and it made all the difference. The tire shop I use told me that these trucks just don't weigh enough to make a heavy duty tire ride right. I thought they were full of it at first then one day I had all that I could stand so we switched them out and it rides like a caddy now.

10. Jul 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    bp_phil16

bp_phil16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Bad Ass 06 4x4 Silver 4 Door Tacoma
    17'' Robby Gordon Wheels 33'' All-Terrain T/A Volant Cold Air Intake Magna Flow Exhaust URD MAF Limo Tint Billet Grill 3 HID's Behind Grill Headlight HID's Foglight HID's Tc UCA Kings in front and rear White face with blue needles; guage cluster Xm Radio Pioneer Double Din Deck Back Up Camera Navigation Amped Alpine Speakers 2 JL Audio 10's(Behind Seat) 2 Alpine Amps(Behind Seat)
    Does your truck have spacers on it?

11. Jul 28, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    HARDSHELLTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Who is this question for?

12. Jul 28, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    bp_phil16

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    17'' Robby Gordon Wheels 33'' All-Terrain T/A Volant Cold Air Intake Magna Flow Exhaust URD MAF Limo Tint Billet Grill 3 HID's Behind Grill Headlight HID's Foglight HID's Tc UCA Kings in front and rear White face with blue needles; guage cluster Xm Radio Pioneer Double Din Deck Back Up Camera Navigation Amped Alpine Speakers 2 JL Audio 10's(Behind Seat) 2 Alpine Amps(Behind Seat)
    For the guy that started the thread! Who else would i be talking too?

13. Jul 28, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    HARDSHELLTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    McLovin
    BOWLING GREEN, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Just checking, I thought you were either asking me or him. My bad.

14. Jul 28, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    bp_phil16

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Its all good. Casue i have spacers and i just got new tires put on. And they said it was bad that i had spacers and that they werent aloud to work on my truck cause it was unsafe. Stupid people, and they also said if it viberates going down the road then it means my lugs are loose and tighten them up. Thats proly his problem

Fix it before your wheel falls off :popcorn:

15. Jul 28, 2009 at 11:32 PM
    Timicha

Timicha Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    i got 2 inch spacers on my front and i've never had a problem with them being loose in the 3 years i've had them. but my truck shakes like hell. i think its from the toyo tires being so god awful heavy.

16. Jul 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    Huntgrrl

Huntgrrl [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 Regular cab 2.7L 4x4
    Hey..the "guy" who started the thread is a gal:eek:! Anyhow, I do not have spacers on the truck but I bought some 10ply rated tires when I was living in NM to avoid wall puctures when I was chasing bighorn sheep. It could be the tires but I did not notice a problem until about 20,000 miles later...I moved from NM to NV to CA to MN...and on the trip from CA to MN I started to notice the vibration somewhere before North Dakota...the vibration is getting bad, it could be the tires need balancing. Last time I paid someone to rotate my tires they never did, I hate not having a place to do this on my own, at least I know it happens if I do it. Stuck in the woods for a while, not able to make it to a shop but I will keep you all posted when I figure it out.

17. Jul 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    dubber

dubber Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Taco 4x4 TRD
    Check the inside edge of the tires - are they cupped? Meaning is it almost kind of wavy from tread to tread?

18. Aug 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    Robbsolid

Robbsolid Zombie Killer

Member:
    ABQ, N.M.
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SuperWhite DBL Cab
    Plastic X'd Flares, deck plate mod, Thrush welded muffler, graphite painted wheels, relocated turn signals, fogs in bumper
    bump, im curious about the inside of the tires

19. Aug 5, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    dubber

dubber Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '04 Taco 4x4 TRD
    Mine are cupped and I have vibration noticeable at highway speed on smooth roads, hard to explain. It is like some treads are sticking up higher than the others - no it is not rounded off like would happen on an alignment issue. I was told that it is likely a result of the tires being over inflated. Sure enough I checked and they were by a few psi. It is only on the fronts. I am guessing it happened at the dealership during an oil change on a cold winter day I didn't feel like doing that someone over inflated them during their courtesy checks - honestly it wasn't me!!

20. Aug 6, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    da0023

da0023 The One, The Only

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner SR5
    none
    hey all, i used to have the same problem and sunk all kinds of cash trying to solve it, everthing from rebalancing the driveshift, to springs all the way around and everything in between. i had my tires checked countless times and i finally figured out my problem thanks to the help of one of my old high school pals, i slapped his wheels and tires on my truck and the problem was gone. come to find out, for some bizarre reason the stud holes on all four wheels get bored out and cause the wheel not to fit correctly on the center ring on the hub(probably due to overtightening the lugs) it caused all kinds of vibs, but now thanks to the wheels and tires, truck rides smooth as silk.

Products Discussed in

To Top