1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying Tacoma need Advice!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by skierpunk, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Dec 18, 2007 at 11:21 AM
    skierpunk

skierpunk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Off Road.
    TRD mats and seat covers, smoked tail lights, smoked turn signal corners, Revtek lift, Access LE tonnaeu, HIDs, grillcraft mesh grill, TRD CAI, custom bike racks, Alpine system.
    In the next week or so I will be buying a tacoma. But there's one problem. I'm more of a first generation guy. I like the way they look and the fact that they are a little smaller, but they’re extremely hard to come by with the specifications I want.

Anyway I would appreciate it if anyone would share some pros and cons of both trucks and try to convince me which is a better buy...

2. Dec 18, 2007 at 11:43 AM
    Flaadog

Flaadog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacifica, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Double Cab TRD SR5 4x4
    Toytec 3" Pro Deluxe 1000 lift, Bedrug, Snugtop, Yakima rack, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 265/75R16
    For what it's worth......

I was just like you, man. I love the look of the 1st gen, and even though price was a factor for me I think I still would have gone with the 1st. It took a lot of searching, but I hit the jackpot on mine.

I figure the money I would have spent on the new gen can gradually go towards mods on my 02. In fact I am this close to pulling the trigger on a Toytec lift. It will be the first major mod. Soon to follow will be sliders.

Anyway, I know you asked for people to convince you to get the new one, but even if I won the lottery I wouldn't get rid of mine. Seriously. But it would be the most ridiculous ride you've ever seen. :)

Probably the biggest con on the 1st gen is power. I'm sure I will get plenty of folks to agree on that. Otherwise, my double cab has a great ride, great room, has been reliable so far, and loves being in four wheel drive.

One personal con of mine on the new ones... I am a shell guy. Love Snugtop. I don't know what the deal is, but I don't think shells look good on the new model. I think it is the angle of the cab roof, but it just doesn't seem to meld right. That's just me.

I know there are a lot of new gens on here, so I'm sure I'll get an ear full.

Regardless, enjoy your Tacoma when you get it!

3. Dec 18, 2007 at 12:16 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    If you dont like shells on the 2nd gen you obviously haven't seen pb2themax's truck. I've never like shells until i saw his. Anyway, my opinion, if you like the 1st gen, buy the 1st gen. they are great time tested trucks. they look good, and you'll save some money. If you're not a huge fan of the 2nd gen there's no point in spending the extra money. Just be patient and look all over the place. I love the 2nd gen. the biggest difference between 2nd and 1st gen is the new V6 and the body. The 2nd gen V6 has alot more power, but unfortunately, the interior options haven't changed much over the years. the interior trim looks a little better than the older models, but there's not a whole lot of difference in stereo options and "goodies" that toyota puts in all their cars. I was gonna get a 1st gen until i realized that the value barely goes down on them and i might as well buy new. One things for sure, all tacomas keep their value for a long time. Either way i think you'll be happy

4. Dec 18, 2007 at 12:17 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I forgot to mention one thing. if you do buy used, make sure to get it checked out by a good mechanic or the dealer ship before you buy. a guy on here recently got a used 2nd gen and has had all kinds of problems right off the bat. so even though toyotas are bombproof, constant abuse will still tear them up. you never know how it was treated before you, so just make sure to have it checked out.

5. Dec 18, 2007 at 12:28 PM
    A1CGuches

A1CGuches Oregon Alliance: Founder

Member:
    DMAFB, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Custom snorkel/intake, 6" lift, 35X12.5 mt's, flowmaster 40 seriers, performance clutch, custom skid plate, grille, everything is black on green, rotrex supercharger, 7th injector kit, urd short throw shifter, thorely header, kks speed limit defender...and more to come
    I agree with ndcouch get it checked out by someone other than the dealership you buying it from, too many people rely on the 'car-fax' report but the truth is they dont always hav e a vehicles history, i personally have paid out of pocket to avoid getting the damages put on my insurance and therefore it wouldnt be on a car fax, also even when accidents are claimed they still arent always put on there, i have always owned toyotas and always will...either way you will love it

6. Dec 18, 2007 at 2:23 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    my brother had a first generation and we loved it.... in fact, our step dad has always drove toyotas, and my brother's wife had a double cab 1st gen. taco and he had an extended cab 1st gen taco....

i LOVED my bro's truck and would have bought one myself, but my wife wanted to buy me a new truck, so we got the 07. it does have more power, so that is a pro. i like the little bigger size too.

one thing about the 1st gen, they look GREAT with a 2" or 3" lift and big tires, they really awesome. love greenbeans truck!

7. Dec 19, 2007 at 10:51 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Carfax also does not include abuse, such as once a year oil changes, and engine and drivetrain neglect. a good mechanic can tell you if the vehicle was taken care of.

I agree, greenbean has a great truck. I love 1st gens, they look great with a little lift. find one with low miles thas been taken care of and your set

8. Dec 19, 2007 at 5:20 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Ndcouch said it best, if you like 1st gen than buy 1st gen, I love 1st gen but could not find one. Now that I have my 06 I would'nt trade it for anything. I am still looking for one, what's better than a taco in the driveway ? 2 of them ! :thumbsup:

9. Dec 20, 2007 at 6:11 AM
    A1CGuches

A1CGuches Oregon Alliance: Founder

Member:
    DMAFB, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Custom snorkel/intake, 6" lift, 35X12.5 mt's, flowmaster 40 seriers, performance clutch, custom skid plate, grille, everything is black on green, rotrex supercharger, 7th injector kit, urd short throw shifter, thorely header, kks speed limit defender...and more to come
    How about an armoured car so you can pay for everything

10. Dec 22, 2007 at 1:20 PM
    skierpunk

skierpunk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Off Road.
    TRD mats and seat covers, smoked tail lights, smoked turn signal corners, Revtek lift, Access LE tonnaeu, HIDs, grillcraft mesh grill, TRD CAI, custom bike racks, Alpine system.
    Also I like interior of the 1st Gen better. To me it feels less cheap and plasticy. For a 30,000 truck the interior could use some work. Does anyone know who has replaced their dash and trim with a dash kit?

11. Dec 22, 2007 at 2:42 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I have a printing press in the basement, but my arms get tired cranking out hundred dollar bills. ;)

12. Dec 22, 2007 at 9:28 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    i have two taco's one 4 cyl one 450hp V8... I dont have a problem with power in either of them...also had a 96 extra cab 3.4V6 with TRD headers, TRD supercharger, Pulley boys 12psi pulley, K&N filter , MarkIII supra injectors, and had the computer sent to JET for tune to match the supercharger. Laid 320hp to the rear wheels.... no problem with power there and had less invested than a new reg cab nowadays.

13. Jan 4, 2008 at 7:32 PM
    99TRD

99TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    I was also a 1st Gen fan. I just am not a fan of the 4 door pick-ups. The access cab is just what I needed. I found a 99 TRD that is loaded with 88K miles and got it for blue book. They are impossible to find. It had some issues, but the mechanics told me exactly what it needed, so I bought it.

14. Jan 4, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    I dont think you mentioned what cab config. you needed. I have an `01 Dbl Cab. purchased new in Jan. `01. If I had known a couple years down the road I could get a 4.0 AND a manual..I would have checked E-bay for a old set of Subaru jump seats to put in the back of `99Ranger and put my 1yr old and newborn back there..just kidding,

15. Jan 4, 2008 at 8:50 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    good deal 99!!! throw up some pics

Products Discussed in

To Top