Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Air Bag Warning Lights

Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
green is on a distinguished road
green's Tacoma Gallery
Air Bag Warning Lights

Hi, I rescently had my oil changed and shortly after realised that my air bag warning lights were flashing. I'm worried because of the possibility that my airbags might have been stolen. I'm kind of lacking in knowledge of these things; is there any way to check if they did steal my air bags?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
What year / model Tacoma?

Was any other work done on it while it was being serviced?

You mentioned 'lights' (plural) ... Exactly what 'lights' are flashing?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Jmark55 is on a distinguished road
Jmark55's Tacoma Gallery
2004 Air Bag Warning Light

My 2004 Tacoma had the air bag warning light on for several months and I finally went to the Toyota dealer to get it checked out. They said the Spiral Cable Assembly needed to be replaced, so I authorized that work.

Not long after I left the dealer, the light came back on. So I returned to the dealer where all the technicians went through their manual, and short of replacing the entire air bag assembly ($1600!), finally got the light off.

The air bag warning light stayed off for a couple of months but now is back on again. I think I will have to live with it since they indicated that replacing the air bag assembly is to only thing left to correct the problem.

My only other thought is to try another dealer or specialty repair shop and see if they have a different perspective on the problem.

Does anyone have some experience with this issue?

Mark in Atlanta
Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Check the connections to the actual sensors (driver & passenger side) on the wheel well up front.
The driver one is under the battery, the passenger near the air box.
Before removing the connections, unclamp the battery.

That "Spiral spring" is called a clock spring.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
ethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of lightethanfoy is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: 314MXG
Name: ethan
ethanfoy's Tacoma Gallery
let the truck sit without the battery cables hooked up for 15mins
Old 08-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is in the first gen section but if your truck is 05 and up there was a recall on the spiral cable/ clock spring and the dealer will fix it for free
Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
Jmark55 is on a distinguished road
Jmark55's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give them a try.