1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

blown tacoma motor!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kenny3932, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Dec 25, 2007 at 2:47 PM
    iophyte

iophyte New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02' Taco Pre-Runner 2.7L
    K&N Drop In * Flowmaster Delta 40 * hole in the air box
    I need to amend my prior post because I was confusing the Toyota branded fluids with Honda (my wifes car). Both manufacturers tell you you MUST use their brand of fluid in their vehicles. They are both wrong. A Honda Oil bottle is the EXACT same as MobileOne (because ExxonMobile makes Honda Fluids in the U.S.).

Purolator makes the U.S. version of Toyota Filters (Japan Toyota filters are made by a Jap company, I think Denso also makes filters for Toyota overseas)

If the service tech told you that your warrenty was void for not using "Genuine Toyota Parts" then he told you the biggest lie/scam in the automotive business! The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 states that a automotive dealer may not require you to replace ANY part of a vehicle that you have purchased with only a "Genuine Part" unless that dealer replaces that part for free. They cannot make you put any one brand of filter, tire, bulb, alternator, starter, etc... on your vehicle. Very few things actually LEGALLY invalidate your manufacturers warrenty. The dealer just wants you to think that. Think I am wrong? Call a lawyer and ask.

2. Dec 26, 2007 at 9:38 AM
    96Tacoma4x4

96Tacoma4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    96 xcab 4x4 LX stock
    32x11.50 and K&N filter drop in
    I used Fram filters years back, I noticed when I started up in the morning (a cold engine) it would knock for about 30 sec to a minute, didn't matter about outside temp. Come to find out about reading up on filters, Fram, the flow back rubber piece in the filter would stay open instead of closing when the engine turned off causing the oil to drain back out. So it's like a empty filter when it sat around for a while and when starting back up it would have to fill up again. Changed to Bosch filter and just about totally elimated my knock in the mornings. I'll get a little knock when my truck sits around for a couple of weeks not being started and it has to be real cold (outside temp) in the morning. So my input is I would not recommend Fram filters from my experience.

3. Dec 26, 2007 at 7:10 PM
    kenny3932

kenny3932 [OP] Member

Member:
    north west Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD prerunner SR5
    2004 V-6 motor, tuff country 3" suspension lift, aftermarket wheels. custom grill insert
    I have had that same thing happen also. Just last week after my truck had been setting for over a week I went to start it in the morning and it knocked for just a second, and that's with a Toyota oil filter. no big deal I guess?

Products Discussed in

To Top