1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

blown tacoma motor!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kenny3932, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Dec 22, 2007 at 11:11 AM
    kenny3932

kenny3932 [OP] Member

Member:
    north west Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD prerunner SR5
    2004 V-6 motor, tuff country 3" suspension lift, aftermarket wheels. custom grill insert
    :(I have a 2001 Tacoma TRD V-6 extended cab. This is my first time owning a Toyota. I've had it a year now and less than one week after I purchased it with 92000 miles the motor blew. It happened after I changed the oil and installed a fram oil filter. After letting the motor run about ten minutes, I checked the trans fluid level and motor for oil leaks. Every thing looked good, so I got in the truck and gave it a little rev, that's when the motor went. One rod went through the block at the filter housing and another rod went through the side of the block where the A/C compressor is mounted. The oil filter outer shell was laying on the ground along with one large chunk of connecting rod and some other metal pieces from the block. The base of the oil filter was still attached to the block and that whole section of the block was hanging down only because the lip of the pan flange was still attached to it. The dealer where I purchased it from said they would look at it to see what might have caused it. They reminded me that there was no warranty (because of the high mileage). The dealer concluded that the oil filter was the cause. After sending pictures and the pieces of the filter to fram they said in a letter they were not liable, the motor was to blame and not their product. After further inspection with the motor on an engine stand, it was clear from the main bearings and connecting rod bearings that plenty of oil was going to the motor. The bearings looked almost new. One thing that I did find, was a rod cap that was cracked in half with the bearing still attached that looked fine besides it being damaged from the motor coming apart. One word of advice DON'T USE FRAM OIL FILTERS after seeing the inside of mine it's obvious that they are constructed poorly and after doing some research on the web I was shocked to find out all the bad rap and law suits they've had due to damaged motors from faulty oil filters. However, I don't believe my motor was ruined from the fram oil filter, it seems that there must have been a fracture or a weak spot in the bearing cap that caused the catastrophic failure.:DAfter finding a motor out-of-state out of a 2004 Tacoma with 28000 miles for $1700 bucks every thing is going pretty good with my truck. There is one thing I'm having a problem with and that's my two piece drive shaft. It seems to be out of balance. I noticed it when I first drove it. I thought it was bad rotors at first because it seemed to happen when I was braking at speeds around fifteen to twenty MPH. Since then I installed a 3'' suspension lift and now the vibration is no longer at the slower speeds but around 55 MPH and at 65 MPH. Could this be caused by a weak rubber trans mount, slip yolk on shaft, or from a worn out carrier barring? Any advice would be great, thanks in advance. Ken.

2. Dec 22, 2007 at 2:39 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    wow, what a journey you've been on. I just put in a fram oil filter and now I am a little apprehensive. Since you just shelled out 1700 for the engine I would first be sure that's it's the driveshaft. If it is, a local machine shop/speed should be able to balance it with little to no problem, if there is damage to the shaft, replacement is the way to go, repairs are often done in vain. There is a current thread about one piece driveshafts on this forum, and maybe that's what you need. Good luck and send some pix with your progress, we would like to know. Peace. :thumbsup:

3. Dec 22, 2007 at 6:03 PM
    iophyte

iophyte New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02' Taco Pre-Runner 2.7L
    K&N Drop In * Flowmaster Delta 40 * hole in the air box
    I have been reparing/building/modifying cars for 19 years and FRAM used to be a great brand. Nowdays a FRAM filter will collapse because the quality standards are no longer what they were. The filter media is cheap and the construction is very poor. You would be better with just about any "house" brand filter from any parts house.

4. Dec 22, 2007 at 6:08 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    I've been using Fram all my driving life and currently have a Fram in the truck as well as one in the garage (for next oil change) and I've never had an issue.

5. Dec 22, 2007 at 7:02 PM
    CornDog

CornDog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gallant, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 SpeedWay Blue Double Cab Tacoma
    12000 lb Milemarker Winch Warn Trans4mer Grille Guard Gear Motorsports Wheels, Pioneer Head Unit w Ipod Interface, 2 Diamond D3 10's in custom box, UWS black tool box. N-fab stepbars, 15% tint, bug deflector,ventvisors, K&N Series 77 Cold air Intake, Hi lift jack mounted, 4D-LED maglite mounted, Lund Grill Screen
    hey yal. i used to rebuild the old 22r and 22re motors on the picksups. i jus wanted to tell you that we all know the tacomas are king on and off road and the motors are OUTSTANDING. from my experience in rebuilding these motors and all the ppl that brought a truck in the only filter to use is a toyota filter. ive rebuilt so many that had a fram its ridiculous. ive even rebuilt a few that had the "high and mighty K&N filters" on them. these trucks i worked on were hardcore offroaders and back yard buildups. basically go with toyota filters and yal wont have a problem.

6. Dec 22, 2007 at 7:35 PM
    Route66Taco

Route66Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rolla, MO
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma
  7. Dec 22, 2007 at 9:32 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    at tech school we used to cut the filters apart fram suck man... honestly i would trust an old sock to catch more than one of them.. I've seen them crush the "spring" at the bottom (some companies use a spring...frame uses a piece of sheetmetal bent to hold pressure) and go into bypass mode...where you get all the filter collected back all at once alot of metal at once instead of a little at a time is bad very bad

8. Dec 23, 2007 at 11:16 AM
    iophyte

iophyte New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02' Taco Pre-Runner 2.7L
    K&N Drop In * Flowmaster Delta 40 * hole in the air box
    I wonder what manufacturer makes the "Toyota" brand filter? Surely you don't think Toyota makes their own filter? I am sure the Toy(Purolator)ota filter is somewhat overpriced and not as widely available as other brands, such as WIX, K&N, "house" brand or maybe Purolator. "House" brands are usually made by a major manufacturer, i.e. O'Reilly "house" brand "MicroGuard" is made by Purolator, kinda like some OEM filters. The "house" brands don't have as much care or the same filter media in the construction, but you can bet some brands are always going to be good filters. I ain't tootin' the WIX horn but I challenge you to find ONE negative comment about a WIX brand filter. I am not always sold on dealer parts, especially fluids packaged as dealer items. The Toyota original parts fluids are made and packaged by ExxonMobil. Look at the Toyota oil bottle and a MobileOne oil bottle, same bottle, same manufacturer, same oil.

9. Dec 23, 2007 at 11:24 AM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    You make a great point, who does make the oil filters stamped Toyota.

10. Dec 23, 2007 at 11:24 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    NAPA Gold filters are made by Wix, Same with CarQuest's best. The parts place I used to go to changed to a CarQuest dealer and didn't sell WIX anymore. He told me they would be selling the same filter just in different packaging. The numbers are the same or have the same numbers in the application.

Yeah!, what he said...

I just rev'd it a little? Hmmmm.......

11. Dec 23, 2007 at 12:16 PM
    kenny3932

kenny3932 [OP] Member

Member:
    north west Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD prerunner SR5
    2004 V-6 motor, tuff country 3" suspension lift, aftermarket wheels. custom grill insert
    You're right. I can't say anything bad about wix filters they're constructed great. I just changed the oil on one of my vehicles over the weekend and used a wix filter. as far as the maker of toyota filters I don't know the manufacturer but, I know the base plate and the internals are the same on the Purolator, Quakerstate, and the OEM replacement filter for my Tacoma 3.4 L

12. Dec 23, 2007 at 12:25 PM
    kenny3932

kenny3932 [OP] Member

Member:
    north west Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD prerunner SR5
    I think I rev'd it up to 3000 rpm and she came apart at 2500 rpm. I was watching the tach when it happened. By the way, I don't rev the mew motor.

13. Dec 23, 2007 at 1:14 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    I've heard a couple schools of thought on how to break in a new engine, run it hard on the highway for 500 miles, drive like normal everyday (except for TuRDTaco, that boy aint right !), how are you approaching this matter. :burnrubber:

14. Dec 23, 2007 at 1:23 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Srevice Dept. where I bought my Tacoma had a cut-away display showing Genuine Toyota and other brand filter and even though this "other" brand was probably the cheapest available, I was impressed by the quality of the genuine part.Also if I buy three at a time (discount) they cost less than a buck more than a Fram.I also wondered who makes the Toy. filter?

15. Dec 23, 2007 at 1:36 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Back when my friend bought his first new truck `86 x-cab SR5, he of course had to show everyone.I got in to go for a ride. I remember It had less than 100 miles (54 maybe).He took it to redline and dropped the clutch! Then speed shifted thru the gears..I was like DUDE! His reply was," I thought you said break it in like your gonna drive it"'.Yea, but Take a little easy on her at first.Anyhow that truck ran great for well over 250k and was alot free -er reving than Toyotas other friends had. 22RE.

16. Dec 23, 2007 at 4:19 PM
    missileman125fw

missileman125fw Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a buddy that works at the Toyota service department that I bought my Tacoma from, he said to make sure and put a Toyota oil filter on when I change my oil. He said Toyota will not cover any damage to a motor if an after market filter is installed.

17. Dec 23, 2007 at 6:29 PM
    kenny3932

kenny3932 [OP] Member

Member:
    north west Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD prerunner SR5
    I will probably only use Wix, Mobil, or Toyota filters for now on in my Tacoma. One thing that I recently started to do is prime my filters with oil first. This helps the oil get to the motor faster after start up. On the 5VZ-FE 3.4L it is a little messy because of the angle of the filter mount, but most of the oil stays in the filter.

18. Dec 23, 2007 at 6:46 PM
    kenny3932

kenny3932 [OP] Member

Member:
    north west Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRD prerunner SR5
    Well I believe in a brief warm up before taking off and never keep the motor at one constant RPM. varying the RPM's is best, and no heavy loads until the motor has around 500 miles. Lugging the motor is a no no also. I found that out when I purchased a new street bike when I was younger. It over heated and vapor locked at a traffic light when I was riding it home for the first time.

19. Dec 23, 2007 at 7:32 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Although I didn't know, I would agree with that, hopefully I am many miles from that day, best to you and your rig. :)

20. Dec 23, 2007 at 7:37 PM
    Jim Mann

Jim Mann Well-Known Member

Member:
    No expert here, but I sold motor oil and filters for 12.5 years ( Champion and Wix ). No, I would not choose Fram as my 1st choice, but your filter probably exploded because of engine isues. I sent many filters back in for claims after someone had engine problems, and it was very rare that the filter was at fault. Since filters do not create pressure, the problems were often created by malfunctioning oil pumps or blown head gaskets. In cases where the filters were at fault, it was normally a case of a cut gasket or incorrect lip clearance allowing the oil to leak out. However, these failures did not result in a filter explosion or disintegration. What you have described, I have seen, but it always seem to be caused by something else. The filter was often blamed, even though it was rarely the culprit. There are always exceptions. Good luck, JIm Mann

Products Discussed in

To Top