Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What's wrong with my 4x4???

Old 12-23-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
LHAHN07 is on a distinguished road
LHAHN07's Tacoma Gallery
What's wrong with my 4x4???

I have a 2002 Taco TRD and when its locked in 4 wheel drive, Something goes wrong... If I go around a corner, something gets tight and the truck will stop moving all together. If I'm in snow or rain the front wheels will "hop" around and if they can't "hop" then the truck will stop moving. I have to rev the engine a little and sometimes dump the clutch to spin a wheel to get moving again. Anyone else have this trouble? Does anybody know how to fix it???
Old 12-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure..I know if tire sizes are different binding will ocurr,same as if diff. gears are not the same front to rear...maybe the joint(cv?)in the front axle?Lots of knowledge at this site,sure you`ll get better replies.LOL
Old 12-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
LHAHN07's Tacoma Gallery
Everthing in the drivetrain is factory. The tires are all the same size and pressure too...
Old 12-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
It's acting like a "straight" axle, sounds like in your front diff. something is not allowing one side to have limited slip, is there any excessive wear on one of the front tires ? Check the front diff to see if there is oil in it. Unscrew the plug and stick your finger in, you should just be able to touch the oil level. The front diff might have ceased. Tacoman350 is pretty damn smart, give him a yell.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
When you're turning - how tight are you turning?

You should never use 4WD on dry pavement.
You should never make tight turns in 4WD either.
Even if the pavement is wet - you should avoid making tight & slow moving turns.

Since you've got the rear-end locked, again - avoid making tight turns (especially slow moving ones). DON'T FORCE IT!! You're experiencing gear & cv joint binding. Don't force it...or you could actually be creating damage.

Whatever it is that you're doing - stop - and put it into 2WD and make your turns and see how that goes. If you need to be in 4WD, unlock the rear diff and try it again.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
LHAHN07's Tacoma Gallery
All of this is happening with the rear diff. unlocked. I just changed the oil in the front diff. to Redline synthetic. And it happened before I changed it too. I don't understand why its doing it in the snow. It was a kinda sharp turn though...
Old 12-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHAHN07 View Post
. It was a kinda sharp turn though...
What were you doing? Turning into a parking space? Or...??

How close to full steering lock were you?

How fast were you traveling?

Making tight turns in 4WD is not a good idea...locked or unlocked. You're causing gear bind and can create stress on your CV joints. The truck will buck & hop and not want to move... Don't force it.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
it called bumb steer it always happens in 4wd you front tires are trying to pull the truck forward and you are fighting agenst that to turn if your parking or something put it back in 2wd