1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Xtra vs. Double Cab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 45acp, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Aug 9, 2009 at 4:51 AM
    45acp

45acp [OP] Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    Could someone tell me the pros/cons of these 2 options? I've been looking into buying a Tacoma with an Xtra cab, but I'd like to broaden my selection and would like to know if the Double cab was worth considering.
    Thanks

2. Aug 9, 2009 at 4:54 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Whatta ya need it for?

There's really no question why you'd want one or the other.

If you need seats for 4 people - get the double cab.

If you need the 6' bed and don't need seats for 4 people, get the extended cab.

Or - if you buy a new tacoma, you can have a Double cab and a long bed.

3. Aug 9, 2009 at 5:15 AM
    45acp

45acp [OP] Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    I originally just wanted some extra room to put stuff (backpacks, groceries, ect.) but I have a kid now and maybe more down the road, so that may turn into a major issue. I used to have an F-150 regular cab and hated that there was no extra room.

What is the MPG difference like? Does one handle snow/ice better than the other?

4. Aug 9, 2009 at 5:20 AM
    stenyeart

stenyeart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR SWB
    3" Toytec Lift w/ AAL, TRD CAI, Leer 700 Series, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Locker Anytime Mod, LR UCA's, OEM Roof Rack, Satoshi grill with Devil Horns Emblem, USA Spec PA-15 Toy Ipod Integration, Redline Tuning Hood Struts and EZ Down Tailgate.

FYI, Carseats don't fit in the back of an access cab.

5. Aug 9, 2009 at 5:25 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Seems like you answered your own question, especially with a child.

It also looks like the majority of your day to day hauling (non-human) is stuff you would like to keep dry or contained somewhat.

4 doors soulds like the move for you.

6. Aug 9, 2009 at 5:25 AM
    Mootsman

Mootsman Active Member

Member:
    Gunnison, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma SR5
    3" Fabtech Lift
    That's interesting, because I just noticed they have a hook built in above the rear seat specifically for attaching a car seat. Good to know that it doesn't actually work. We don't have kids, so the xtra cab size is perfect for backpacks, clothes, gear, helmets, dogs, etc.

7. Aug 9, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I have my carseast in the back of my Access cab and it fits no problem. I keep in on the passengers side. My son is 2 now, so a rear facing seat might have been an issue. I bought my '09 after he was born. I use the seatbelt. They make a clamp of sorts. You feed the belt through and crank it up and it tightens the seat down. It will not go anywhere.

8. Aug 9, 2009 at 5:28 AM
    stenyeart

stenyeart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR SWB
    3" Toytec Lift w/ AAL, TRD CAI, Leer 700 Series, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, Locker Anytime Mod, LR UCA's, OEM Roof Rack, Satoshi grill with Devil Horns Emblem, USA Spec PA-15 Toy Ipod Integration, Redline Tuning Hood Struts and EZ Down Tailgate.

Sorry, Rear facing carseats dont fit. I tried four different ones and then gave up. Ended up getting a DC.

9. Aug 9, 2009 at 5:28 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    The hooks are on the drivers seat. You can use the passengers seat with the seatbelt and the clamp I mentioned (any baby store has them). I can have my wife in the passenger seat and the little guy in the back and everyone has room. As he gets older, he will go into a backless booster and that should fit even better as that seat is smaller. I don't see any problems.

10. Aug 9, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:

Like I said, I got the truck after he needed a rear facing. Had I been faced with that issue, I might have gotten a DC.

11. Aug 9, 2009 at 7:38 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    I personally like the xtra cab and 6 foot bed better. The whole truck seems more proportional, and the 5 foot bed just seems too short. However, if you plan to have more than 3 people with you in many situations (are you a...family man?) then go with the DC.
    I assume you are talking about 1st gens because this is the 1st gen forum, so in that case the DCs are all V6 auto and the Xtra cabs have I4 or V6 and manual or auto. I told that to a guy once when he was considering an 03 DC and he suddenly decided to go back to an Xtra cab because he did not want a V6.

12. Aug 9, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Like everybody else said, it depends on what your priority is. I have the xtracab, it fits my 2 dogs just fine, but anybody bigger than about 60 lbs is going to hate sitting back there. The bed of my xtracab is just big enough to fit my motorcycle, but if/when I trade in my 01 I'm definitely getting a 4 door, or maybe the newest gen. tacoma.

13. Aug 9, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i had an 02 xcab that i could put a sweat shirt in the back.the 4 door short bed is good for nothing but shopping bags. i got a 08 d/c cuz a newborn.

14. Aug 11, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    I have a 2001 extra cab and my 4 and 7 year old fit in the back. 4 y/o in a backless booster, 7 y/o is tall enough without anything. For a newborn in an extra cab...maybe just you and him/her. The hook in the back is for putting the seat in the front and running the strap to the hook, best I can figure.

15. Aug 11, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    zeski25

zeski25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    FL561
    Vehicle:
    02SR5FullyLoaded4DR
    Westin Step Bar, 31 Terra Grapplers, Wrapped 15% Lumar
    Double cab. I have had single cab, extended cab and just got my 4 door, never looking back. It also fits my mx bike in the back as long as you keep the tail gate down. The bed has not been a issue what so ever. Double cabs will also hold their value longer. Any thing else is for kids.

16. Aug 11, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I thought double cabs are five seaters, atleast the 2nd gen's are.

17. Aug 12, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    buellconvert

buellconvert Enjoying LIFE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Goldsboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab
    Well my DC with the short bed has hauled a lot more than shopping bags:rant:, my motorcycles fit just fine, I cant close the tailgate, so what. I have hauled drywall, sod, landscaping stones, you name it. I shortage of a foot is no big deal, plus the backseat is actually useable for carring people. For the OP, go with the DC for sure, you will not regret it:headbang:.

18. Aug 12, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    I love my dcab. The only downfall is the short bet they have. If you don't haul long things in it, it's not too bad. I have a shell, so I can't put tall things in there, but it's no biggie. When I have to haul something long, like lumber, I just put it through the sliding window & everythings cool. I can pretty much get anything up to 9 foot in there & still close the tailgate & shell window.....

19. Aug 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    ScottD

ScottD New Member

Member:
    Central NJ.
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab TRD
    I have a 2001 Double Cab with a cap, and have two Yakima roof rails mounted onto the cabs rain channels, and two more Thule roof rails mounted flush to the cap.
    Bringing 12ft. lumber home from Lowe's is not an issue, and of course it could be any other long material, or a bike rack for that matter.
    The Double Cab looks a little unusual proportionally, but I have owned Access Cabs, and prefer the Double Cab.
    It's just a preference.

20. Aug 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    stevedidj

stevedidj Well-Known Member

Member:
    FWIW you can't get a Double Cab with the 4-cylinder engine - but you can get the Access cab with a 6-cyl. From what I've seen on here, the mileage difference between 4- and 6-cyl seems to be less than 5 mpg, which would increase fuel cost by less than 25%, which still could add up over a year's driving. Overall "heft" feel of the 6-cyls/double-cabs is heavier, too. Finally, with kids to think about, the seatpost the DC has would probably be safer in a side-crash - the extra cab has no seat post. I think Vtrac or whatever Toyota calls traction control, and side air bags may be harder to find in Access cabs also.

Products Discussed in

To Top