1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Truck dies randomly!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MiikeyD, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Aug 10, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD [OP] The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    alright first off, for the past 2 days my head unit has been turning off and on (apline cda-9886) and today while i was making a LEFT turn slowly then accelerating to about 15-20mph, my truck shuts off completely and turns on again like nothing happened. I pulled over and check the engine, battery terminals are fine and everything looks the same as it did yesterday. And after that happened 30 minutes later it did it again at a left turn.. anyone have any idea of what the problem can be? thanks

2. Aug 10, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    im gonna go with alternator. have you noticed your headlights and interior lights dimming recently? take it to autozone for a free check. my maxima did that, but once it was off, it stayed off :(

3. Aug 10, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You have a loose connection somewhere. Start with the connections at the Alternator, and work backwards.

4. Aug 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Just be glad it likes to start back up...oh and I'd find out how to get places using only right turns from now on. :laugh:

5. Aug 10, 2009 at 9:56 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD [OP] The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    for sure thanks, i had a feeling it was the alternator. I don't know if you guys remember me posting a video of my HU backlights blinking in conjunction with my turn signals but it started happening again. How much would a new alternator cost or repair of one? anyone with a ballpark estimate?

6. Aug 11, 2009 at 1:12 AM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Enough to make you love your truck again! And tell it to behave cause it's gonna run for another 10 years haha!

Products Discussed in

To Top