Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why recommend OME than coilovers for a 98 Tacoma 4WD DBL Cab 3.4L?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
Peternorth is on a distinguished road
Name: Alberto
Peternorth's Tacoma Gallery

Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I assume you mean adjustable coilovers. Which ones are you looking at?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Great User name, by the way!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What exactly are you asking?

Adjustable struts (5100's for example)

versus

OME coils & non adjustable struts?

Ok....here's some thoughts: Your truck can only be lifted about 3" max with a coilover lift.

How much lift are you looking for?
How do they compare in cost?

I had a set of OME 881 coils (2" lift) with OME struts on my 96 many many moons ago. NO complaints at all. 5100's weren't avialable back then. OME makes many different types of coils.

If I were to lift my truck now - I'd go with the 5100's because of the adjustability. Adjust it for 2" now and adjust it more in the future if you like. Or, for whatever reason...if you ever need to put the truck back to stock, you can do that without buying anything. You can also put the 5100's back down to stock and put lift coils in if you want.

But again, compare the cost.....
Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Great User name, by the way!
Thanks for the info. What do you think about these? http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...l&product_id=5
and
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What exactly are you asking?

Adjustable struts (5100's for example)

versus

OME coils & non adjustable struts?

Ok....here's some thoughts: Your truck can only be lifted about 3" max with a coilover lift.

How much lift are you looking for?
How do they compare in cost?

I had a set of OME 881 coils (2" lift) with OME struts on my 96 many many moons ago. NO complaints at all. 5100's weren't avialable back then. OME makes many different types of coils.

If I were to lift my truck now - I'd go with the 5100's because of the adjustability. Adjust it for 2" now and adjust it more in the future if you like. Or, for whatever reason...if you ever need to put the truck back to stock, you can do that without buying anything. You can also put the 5100's back down to stock and put lift coils in if you want.

But again, compare the cost.....
Thanks Janster, how about these, what would you recommend?
and
Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #7

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Chris4x4 would be the one to ask about this. The adjustable coilovers at which you are looking are Bilstein 5100s with an adjustable collar on the top. If you need to adjust your suspension then they are fine choices. If not, then you can get regular Bilstein 5100s and set them at the height you want before installation.

What are you planning on doing with your truck? Desert running, rock crawling, light off road, just cruising?
Old 08-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternorth View Post
I don't have personal experience with Toytec or Bilsteins...

Lots & lots of guys are running Toytec stuff. Do some research on this forum (Search button, top blue bar) and you'll find lots of questions, answers, & feedback about the toytec lifts.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
What are you planning on doing with your truck? Desert running, rock crawling, light off road, just cruising?
X2.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
IMO Toytec is kinda overrated, since it's 5100s and their springs to make the coilover.

I'd say either get OME/5100s, or go with a better coilover (Icon, Fox, King)

If you don't do much offroading the OME/5100 setup will do you fine.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
IMO Toytec is kinda overrated, since it's 5100s and their springs to make the coilover.

I'd say either get OME/5100s, or go with a better coilover (Icon, Fox, King)

If you don't do much offroading the OME/5100 setup will do you fine.
Or OME springs with OME shocks....
Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
am i the only one to notice he said "98 Tacoma 4WD DBL Cab"
Old 08-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
^^^No, I did too... I think he meant Xtra cab.

And I love my Toytec coilovers! they ride great and are good for minor offroading. I basically got them for the adjustability. I could set the hieght were I wanted, and that they have a life time warrenty.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #15
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverTaco23 View Post
^^^No, I did too... I think he meant Xtra cab.
i think he knows what truck he has...

Mexico gets lots of vehicles the states don't

'98 dbl cab

2000 Ramcharger for example

^ saw one of these in the DFW area about a year after they came out

sorry to thread jack
Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #16
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post

'98 dbl cab

thats a 01-04 dbl cab
Old 08-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post

'98 dbl cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
thats a 01-04 dbl cab
oops...shutting mouth