LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone with 01-04 tacoma get your frame replaced?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone with 01-04 tacoma get your frame replaced?

according to the people at my toyota dealership, i need to get my frame replaced since there is a small hole due to rust. Just wondering if anyone else in TW had this done....how long did it take, did it cost anything, and is there anything i should know???
Old 08-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
you should have gotten a letter from toyota explaining everything. it wont cost you anything, try to get a courtesy car.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
rabble rabble rabble
dud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddud122 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Humane Officer
Name: Dan
dud122's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dud122
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
x2. you lucky bastards with the 01-04s get new frames.

i wouldn't complain too much... you get 150% of your cars worth
Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
Ramphonic is on a distinguished road

Ramphonic's Tacoma Gallery
My frame passed inspection. Guess hosing the underneath in the winter and wire brushing and painting it in the summer really helped.

I hear that Toyota is coating the frames if they pass but they haven't approved it in my state yet.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Gonzoso is on a distinguished road

Name: Keith
Gonzoso's Tacoma Gallery
How long is the warranty for the 01-04's for? Is the 15 years like the 95-2000?
Old 08-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Ramphonic is on a distinguished road

Ramphonic's Tacoma Gallery
This was posted a while back on edmunds

Quote:
Owners of 2001 – 2004 Tacomas have begun to receive letters informing them of a Customer Support Program for frame perforation caused by rust. This warranty extension will be offered for a period of 15 years, five times the original coverage, with no mileage limitation from the vehicle's in-service date, for this specific condition; some conditions apply and these are explained in the Owner Letters.

I can assure you we have gone to great lengths to fortify the integrity of this extraordinary program. Here are some details of the program and what we have done to prepare for this event.

Based on our experience with the 1995 – 2000 Tacoma, we were able to determine that greater than 97% of the perforated frames came from twenty specific Mid-Western and North-Eastern states where road salt use is prevalent.

Owners in the twenty states will have until October 31, 2010 to visit their local dealer for an inspection and application of a corrosion-resistant treatment process in order for the extended warranty to be applied to their vehicle. Toyota is currently preparing the dealerships in these specific twenty states to apply the corrosion-resistant treatment. Customers will receive a letter from us when dealer preparations are complete. Further details and limitations will be provided in the owner letter. Owners in the other thirty states do not need to take action for the extended warranty to be applied.

We encourage owners to wait until they receive their letters to ensure the dealer has ample time to spend with their vehicle.

If the frame is confirmed by the dealer to be perforated, it will be repaired. Obviously, this new program is different compared to the earlier model Tacoma and here’s why.

When we announced the 1995 – 2000 Tacoma program, frame repair was not an option for us or our customers. At the time, we no longer manufactured frames for many variations of these vehicles. In the case of 2001 – 2004 Tacoma, replacement frames are still in production.

To develop this new program, engineers here in Los Angeles, working with Toyota engineers from Japan, created a more comprehensive and less intrusive disassembly and reassembly process with built-in quality. In doing so, they identified all of the major and ancillary parts needed to complete the repair.

Along with a frame, dealers will receive kits that include all the necessary nuts, bolts, washers, clips, mounts, etc. Additionally, they will replace specific major components like leaf springs and lower control arms as necessary. They won’t replace mufflers, brakes and other wear items as part of the program. However, if the owner wants these parts replaced, we provide the opportunity to take advantage of labor savings.

We have allocated a generous amount time for dealers to complete the work and to address the unique challenges specific to each vehicle.

We are confident with the unprecedented steps taken with both programs to minimize the inconvenience of our customers and to protect the value of their vehicles. It is our intention to deliver on the “total ownership experience” and to maintain loyal Toyota customers.

We sincerely appreciate the feedback we receive from sites such as Edmunds.com. If you have any concerns with your Tacoma or other Toyota vehicle, please call our toll-free help number at 1-800-331-4331. Thank you.

Brian R. Lyons
Safety and Quality Communications
Toyota Motor Sales USA
Old 08-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Yes to the re-frame,yes to the extended 15 year warranty,yes to taking 11 days and providing a New Prius for that time frame....
We did discuss the other recall for ball joints and this was done also( new LCA's too )....I did have to purchase new shocks ( originals and Toyo would not cover ) BUT the dealer beat my outside price and installed KYB's...
My pictures of my truck are in the Albums section....

Snoope back quiet

p.s.

Do go over EVERYTHING with your service writer,sticky e-brakes can be fixed and if they are close enough ask to watch progress......They arranged it for me to see the cab swap and the final frame prep before assembly...... People wonder why I have owned 14+ Toyotas......DUH
Old 08-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well i move in to college on the 21st so i can't really watch progress although i wish i could haha, but i'm glad they'll even replace leaf springs and LCA cuz mine are really rusted so that's big! I'll pretty much just have to go over with them to be careful with my rims, don't mess with the settings on the billys, and hopefully they can make my e-brake a little more functional...
Old 08-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #10

also the dealership said they would get me a lender car while the frame work was being done but does the dealership actually give you one of their cars as a lender or do they out source to like Hertz or someone like that? Cuz i'm only 18 and a lot of those rental places you have to be 21 to rent a car....
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
TacomaGus,

My dealer provided the car,they have both rentals and "service loaners"....

Yes to "talking" details with them BEFORE they start.... It helps both of you and with your "bills" life is already easier for them..hardware is new...zip/zip and they are off.no "heat wrench" involved..

Good luck with the "Taco" and re-starting school....

Snoope back quiet
Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
migs78frontera is on a distinguished road
migs78frontera's Tacoma Gallery
Angry 01-04 Frame recall

Howdy All,
I've got my 02 Tacoma at the dealewr right now. I was told it would take 3-6 weeks and it has been 8 so far. They were nice enough to give me a Camry for a while but we needed a truck since my wife does garden work. I called them back and they were able to hook us up with Enterprise, no cost to me, for a 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4. It's nice but it ain't the Tacoma.

Also, the dealer had me sign a form giving them permission to charge me up to $250 for nuts and bolts that the "technician/mechanic" would break while transferring parts from the old frame to the new one.
After reading the above "QUOTE" from Ramphonic I am going to have some words with my dealer. They also wanted to replace my front brake pads, caliper pins and charge full labor. This doesn't sound like a labor savings to me!

I called the dealer and they are willing to give me 5% off parts and have only spent $150 in "nuts and bolts". I have been promised the truck twice and they have not delivered on the dates they said. I finally called Toyota Corporate and they will get back to me.

Now mind you, I really like the Tacoma and Toyota products but holy @#@#! This is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. And what gets me is that it appears that other dealers are not charging for this "nuts and bolts" BS. Friends of ours took their Tacoma to another dealer after I did and they have gotten theirs back already and no nut and bolts fee!!!

So the moral of the story, if the dealer tries to get you to pay for the nuts and bolts their mechnic breaks, boohoo on them you should not have to pay and besides, all the "kits" come with the necessary nuts and bolts!!!
I'll let you know what Corporate has to say on the nuts and bolts.
later
Old 10-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
there was a brand new complete frame sitting in the parts dept. at my local dealer last week when i went in to get filters...i was like . i hadn't heard about the frame swaps till then.

i know it might be a PITA to get them swapped, but big ups to Toyota for doing this. i can't see any of the big three ever doing something like this at no charge.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
Turb0wned will become famous soon enough
Name: Joel
Turb0wned's Tacoma Gallery
Does doing this show up on your carfax....?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #16
johnnyboy is on a distinguished road

Marines:
johnnyboy's Tacoma Gallery
man, i'm probably the last of the last dude to hear of this!!!

well, i live in MN right now. i got my truck from TX while in the service. my question is...

can i just take my junk to the stealership and have them look at it?

truck is an '01 Taco Prerunner...underskirt looks pristine!!!......for now at least...
Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
Ken Beall is on a distinguished road
Ken Beall's Tacoma Gallery
Framed

I got the frame replacement this past summer. Took about 2 weeks to get the frame shipped in and the crate of parts. Got a free rental from Toyota while it was at the dealership for about 4 days while they did the work. Sits a little higher now and rides a little stiff, but so far no problems. I originally wanted the 150% KBB buyback program similar to the earlier models, but got turned down flat....Toyota wouldn't even negotiate. Didn't get charged for any additional parts or labor and even asked them to give everything a once over while they had it apart and could replace anything that was going bad. You definately wouldn't get this from the Big 3..Good luck
Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
johnnyboy is on a distinguished road

Marines:
johnnyboy's Tacoma Gallery
ken, how "bad" was your frame?

mines was from Texas, looks clean as hell still, with original stickers and all.

pretty much just asking around to see if its worth for me to send the truck in for an inspection. i just don't trust anyone tamperin with the truck, especially after replacing the oil/lubes with expensive amsoil.

thanks.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
Ken Beall is on a distinguished road
Ken Beall's Tacoma Gallery
Framed

I had mine in for an oil change and the service mgr said I had holes in the frame back by the rear shocks. I checked it out and there was indeed holes (about the size of a golf ball) close to the weld joints. They advised parking it until a determination was made. Toyotas inspection policy was to do a visual inspection for abnormal rust. If they find something, they're supposed to do a punch test with a hammer to see if it penetrates the metal. If you fail the punch test, you get recommended for a new frame.
I had no interest in frame replacement because of potential issues down the road since a dealership isn't designed to do vehicle assy...I had visions of the transmission falling out or various electrical problems or who knows what else could happen and Toyota wouldn't warranty the reassy process. Nice they covered the new frame, but I was more concerned about the process. Worked out good, though. I think a lot of it is around the dealership and how good they are. I spent an hour with the service tech before and after the process making sure he was tuned in to what was going on. My Tacoma is in excellent shape and the tech says it should be good for another 20 years or so...I dropped a new sunroof in it after the work, so I'm planning on it..Good luck
Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
cole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cole47
i got a letter about this but it gave a list of states....Im in NC so it didnt effect my truck thank god....but my frame looks new