Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rough Shifting, Especially When Cold (5spd.)

Old 12-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
Saratogian
DefyInertia is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
DefyInertia's Tacoma Gallery
Question Rough Shifting, Especially When Cold (5spd.)

I searched around and didn't find much so...

I've got a 2001 5-Speed manual that has a fairly hard time shifting into first (takes some force) and just outright crunches into second unless a wait about 2 seconds with the clutch in before moving from 1 to 2.

Again, these problems are worst when cold but never entirely go away. Is there something I can rip open and lube and/or adjust or are these symptoms of something much worse?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
you may be able to try a synthetic lube for your 5 speed gearbox.......maybe something like mobil1 mt90 or something, as it may free up your shifts and make them smoother.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
another poss is the clutch isnt fully engaging right away...check fluid level and possibly bleed the slave cylinder once just to make sure no air bubbles... they bleed just like brakes small screw on cylinder...then of course keep the clutch master cylinder full
Old 12-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
LHAHN07 is on a distinguished road
LHAHN07's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same basic problem with my 02. My second gear doesn't crunch though. I changed my tranny and transfer case lube to Redline synthetic MT90 and it made no difference...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
350 sounds right, try bleeding them first.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
96Tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road

96Tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My 96 has always done the hard 1st gear when cold since day one. Just that 1 time going in to 1st to start off or I'll have to come to a complete stop before putting it in 1st, I try not to force it in 1st. After that it will shift just fine. It's annoying but I guess I got used to it driving it so many years.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
Tug is on a distinguished road
Tug's Tacoma Gallery
My 02 has the problem as well and its usually worst when its cold. Since Im having other issues with the clutch/transmission I honestly thought about just having my mechanic put in a new clutch kit. I dont know what to do now.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:37 AM   #8
a31gun is on a distinguished road

a31gun's Tacoma Gallery
01 with same prob, actually noticed it today. Its about 25 degrees out there. I have to almost completly stop the truck to get it into first. I Just relaplaced the Slave and Master about 5 weeks ago.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
Tug is on a distinguished road
Tug's Tacoma Gallery
Update....

I took my truck into the dealer today, after arguing with everyone there they finally agreed to pay for a new clutch kit. I should get the truck back tomorrow (Wednesday) I'll post on whether a new clutch fixed the problem.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
My 04 was fine until I had a fluid change done all around my truck. We used the proper gear oil and stuff for everything, and now, I've got the difficult 1st gear. I have to be at a complete stop, and when it's cold, even then I almost need a crowbar for help.

On a side note, I've also got this funny noise- when you push in the clutch, it makes a groaning noise unless I get underneath and spray some wd40 into the area where the cable and arm go into the tranny case. (Not sure of the proper part names)... then the noise goes away for about a month, then comes back. The arm is rusted to hell and looks like the boot might have come away from the housing at some point before I bought it. Irritating as hell, but I'd need to spend a ton of cash for a proper fix, so I'll just get a case of WD40 and live with it for now.