Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Manual or Automatic

View Poll Results: Which do you like better?
Manual 168 58.13%
Automatic 126 43.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
SYC TACO
VixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Victor
VixTacom's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to VixTacom
Manual or Automatic

Which do you like better for your truck? Manual or Automatic?
Old 08-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
You can choose both options?
Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
When offroading, automatic.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
SYC TACO
VixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shedVixTacom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Victor
VixTacom's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to VixTacom
I agree wen offroading for choosing an automatic, but, everything else i choose manual. i like being able to control my truck's shifting
Old 08-23-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic.

If I was driving a sports car, manual.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Generally speaking, I like Manuals. I've always offroaded in a manual.

Although, the Jeep Manual transmission is MUCH better to wheel with than the tacoma manaul.

I currently own an Auto (07) and don't mind it at all. I got it because I didn't like the way the rpm's stayed up when you pressed the clutch in. Throttle by wire is probably doing that....vs the mechanical throttle on the 1st gens.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
Atomic Punk
Apple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud ofApple X C0re has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Apple X C0re's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, I've noticed my 1st gens rpm's stay up when I press the clutch in..but only when I press the clutch in 5th going down the road.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Generally speaking, I like Manuals. I've always offroaded in a manual.

Although, the Jeep Manual transmission is MUCH better to wheel with than the tacoma manaul.

I currently own an Auto (07) and don't mind it at all. I got it because I didn't like the way the rpm's stayed up when you pressed the clutch in. Throttle by wire is probably doing that....vs the mechanical throttle on the 1st gens.
Manuals here, too.
I have an old Cherokee XJ with an Aisin 5 spd and an 09 Taco with an Aisin 5spd
Many Jeeps have Aisin AX5 or AX15 trannys.

The old, carburetor Jeep has cleaner engine braking while the Taco, I believe, has the computer stepping in and mucking things up. Not as clean, takes some getting used to.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #10
kanelakos has a spectacular aura aboutkanelakos has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Prime BEEF Unit,DMAFB
kanelakos's Tacoma Gallery
I had an 06 6 speed manual in an access cab and hated it (new at the time) . I have had many standards in my time. I could not stand the noise it made. Every time I would shift it sounded like a U joint was ready to go. Now I have an 09 automatic and am much happier with it.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Manuals here, too.
I have an old Cherokee XJ with an Aisin 5 spd and an 09 Taco with an Aisin 5spd
Many Jeeps have Aisin AX5 or AX15 trannys.

The old, carburetor Jeep has cleaner engine braking while the Taco, I believe, has the computer stepping in and mucking things up. Not as clean, takes some getting used to.
What I loved about the jeep manual (and/or tranny/engine combination).....it's got sooo much torque. If you're stopped on an incline or climbing a huge boulder - you can simply let the clutch out slowly and the damn vehicle can climb by itself without any gas. No rolling backwards at all. It's awesome! I had the AX15.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you're going to do with it.

FWIW, I like Auto in the majority of situations.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What I loved about the jeep manual (and/or tranny/engine combination).....it's got sooo much torque. If you're stopped on an incline or climbing a huge boulder - you can simply let the clutch out slowly and the damn vehicle can climb by itself without any gas. No rolling backwards at all. It's awesome! I had the AX15.
Yep, good, clean fun
I'll be doing some serious crawlin' with the Taco in a couple weeks.
The XJ knows the way in the dark, we'll see how the Taco does.

Eastern Oregon sagebrush pinstripes on the new Taco!
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflan View Post
Yep, good, clean fun
I'll be doing some serious crawlin' with the Taco in a couple weeks.
The XJ knows the way in the dark, we'll see how the Taco does.

Eastern Oregon sagebrush pinstripes on the new Taco!
You'll be happy with it. Although....you could probably beat the piss outta the XJ and not care about it.

Unlike our beautiful tacomas....they're too damn pretty to mess up!!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #16
j_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant future

Name: catdick
j_cyrus's Tacoma Gallery
I only like an auto in a diesel. I prefer manual in anything else.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
Manual. Automatic makes driving too easy, so one is more likely to space out and not focus on driving.

I would never own an automatic car or truck.
Bite your tonque... when you're 50 and start having knee problems, you'll be itchin to get an Automatic.

But then again...the auto makers will probably have eliminated it by then.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #18
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Manual ftw. Any vehicle that can be driven with one hand and one foot at any point in time is boring.

As for liking autos only on the trail...why is that? the truck is geared low enough (while in Lo) that you can put it in first, let the clutch out, give it no gas, and not stall out. It might stall on hills though, idk.

I learned how to drive on a manual, my first vehicle was a manual, and my truck is a manual (2nd vehicle.)

I'll be sticking to manuals as long as they're an option!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #19
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I like the manual, better milage over the manual and I can drink my coffee. Also lower RPM's on the highway
Old 08-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
i like manual, but i have an auto