1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shaking in 2nd gear...?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RattleTractor, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Aug 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor [OP] Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    So yesterday I put in the OME rear suspension, finished the bumper, and greased the driveshaft u-joints. When I drove home from my friends garage at about 8.30, I noticed that when i was accelerating in 2nd gear from about 23-30mph, the whole truck vibrates pretty strongly. I have left it in 1st until about 25 and put it in 3rd at 25 and the vibration doesnt happen, so it has to do with 2nd gear.
    The truck also vibrates when i depress the clutch when downshifting to 2nd.

Anyone know why this is happening? I was going to change the fluid today, tomorrow, or tuesday in the tranny, transfer case, and both diffs anyways, so will it help?

ideas are much appreciated.

2. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:02 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Did you mark the original location of your U-joints in relation to the yoke on either the DIFF or the tail shaft of your trans ? , just the very nature of right hand torque (direction of drive shaft spin) will cause a U-joint to "seat" itself in the yoke flanges although slight, over time it could make a difference if not bolted back in its original location, vibration at different RPM's & road speed could happen, have your yokes checked for warping around the flanges , in any case I'd say you have a drive line alignment problem.

3. Aug 25, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor [OP] Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    yeah a friend and i think it is the angle of the driveshaft to the pinion. it seens to be a little steep, so we may try to put wedges under the back of the leaf spring packs to tilt the driveshaft up and decrease the angle.
    i will check drive line alignment as well though.

Products Discussed in

To Top