1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poor traction with 01 double cab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by fysaechao, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Aug 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    fysaechao

fysaechao [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 SR5 Double Cab
    Last winter there was snow/sleet on the ground (less then inch). I tried backing up without 4x4, once I got out I continued on pulling forward with 4x4 but had a hard time keeping straight because the back end would slid to the right, therefore pulling the whole truck that direction. Turning off 4x4 I had no traction and the tires would spin. I eventually got the truck to park and got in my girl friends 97 honda accord which did fine in the weather. Earlier in the same winter there was icy roads and my truck did fine with traction. I just thought that the back end was too light and with the sleet it was normal for all terrains to not do that great. I have dueler all terrains. I wanted to know what you guys think might be the problem. Also, I thought the 4x4 wasn't engaging but I put it on asphalt and turned it on, I tried turning and felt the push and pull of the wheels so I figured it worked. Any ideas?

2. Aug 23, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    My previous 2000 Tacoma needed weight in the back or it would slide all over the place, a coulpe of the sand bags usually did the trick, did you have any weight in the bed? I also ran a lower PSI in the winter to give the tires a little more bite.

3. Aug 23, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Yeah, I had the same problem. I needed some wait in the back. But my tires sucked! I had the toyo a/t's and they sucked in the snow. But the BFG A/T's do much better.ImO

4. Aug 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    fysaechao

fysaechao [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 SR5 Double Cab
    I can't remember if I had my camper on...If I did, would that have been enough weight?

5. Aug 24, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Probably not ...

A fiberglass shell on a full-sized Taco bed will typically weigh in at around 140 - 160 lbs. A smaller one for a DC bed would obviously be less.

I usually use at least 200 lbs. of sand for winter traction.

6. Aug 24, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    nasty ned

nasty ned Well-Known Member

Member:
    mass
    Vehicle:
    05v6trd access
    nerf bars ventvisor kit nose & windows
    i put 3 bags of tube sand in the back. i also have the toyo open country a/t,s and love them .i pulled a hummer and an f250 out of some nasty shit on a lake in n.h. the bfg a/ts i took off are probably where they should be ,on the front of a tugboat.:D

7. Aug 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    fysaechao

fysaechao [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 SR5 Double Cab
    so if your driving in snow, weight is always a must in the bed? Because I'm pretty sure my 4x4 works. In what situation would you use high or low 4x4? Thanks for all the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top