1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clutch squeeking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dylandercole, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Aug 31, 2009 at 11:30 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    So iv had this squeeking in my clutch (i have a 5 speed) for about 8 months now. Iv been preoccupied with otehr things on ym car so i never really looked too hard into it. but for the first 10 miles or so when i start the car after not driving it for a few hours, when i depress the clutch pedal its a very loud harsh squeek for the second half of the depression coming from the transmission. I replaced the master and slave cylinder about 3 months ago and greased the hell out of everything within reach from the rubber boot leading to the transmission but the noise is still there. any help would be greatly appretiated.

2. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:39 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    A little more info, like how is the release when you take off, is it smooth ? Does it slip at all ? Or does the rear end "chatter". ?? It may be your throw out bearing. Check those U joints while your at it.

3. Sep 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    no it doestn affect the ride quality at all. everything is fine as far as performance its just very loud and annoying.

4. Sep 1, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Sounds like a throw out bearing

5. Sep 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It squeeks when you engage/disengage the clutch?

There are two different types of clutch squeeks on the first gen trucks.

1) Squeeks when you press the clutch in or let it out.
    2) Squeeks while the truck is sitting stationary with clutch pedal OUT.

The first one is most likely the clutch pedal bushing.
    http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mechanical/ClutchPedal/ClutchBushing.htm
    I had a 96 Tacoma and I replaced this bushing about 3x in 5 years.

The 2nd one is most likely the throw-out bearing.

6. Sep 1, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    well yes it squeeks when pressing or letting out the pedal on the bottom half of travel. but the noise is not coming from the pedal itself. its comming from near the slave cylinder but i just replaced that 2 months ago and the noise was there the whole time.

7. Jul 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    Mutton

Mutton Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eden Prairie MN
    My clutch has been squeeking in a similar manner for almost a year now. Recently I have noticed the rear end "chattering" when I start off in 1st. Is the chattering caused by the clutch slipping??? It's starting to worry me.

8. Jul 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    When I bought my 1998 last month. The clutch pedal was squeking.

My problem ended up being the spring above the clutch pedal. I sprayed the spring down with some liquid grease and now it is as smooth as silk.

Products Discussed in

To Top