1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing mods for a 18' boat with a 2.7 auto

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by inlinewhine, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:01 AM
    inlinewhine

inlinewhine [OP] Member

Member:
    ND/MN
    Vehicle:
    02 X-Cab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    I just bought a 03 x-cab w/ only 4k miles and was planning on using it to tow my 18' boat approx 2500 lbs and drive in the winter where I put on approx. 80 miles/day so fuel economy is the reason for the 2.7L.

I have a tendency to break things engines/trannys maybe because of design flaw and or I work them too hard. For example:
    88 Ford Bronco II 5-speed 2.9L + 2 wide snowmobile trailer = Cracked head and blown intake gasket.
    95' Buick Riviera Supercharged 3800 + Green stop light = Transmisson blowing apart.
    93' Toyota T-100 5-speed 3.Slow + snow drifts = burnt valve an a blown head gasket.

Now if Toyota rated its 2.7L to pull 3500 lbs I expect it but want to add in a few saftey factors. Engine/Trans mods for improved reliability.
    For a limited miles I've put on this truck the 3rz is extremely slow/ gutless? maybe i'm not being fair because the old guy who had before me never drove it and it could possibly have old gas. But the old T-100 seems to have more power with the blown head gasket. Driving the truck I feel like im in a honda civic loaded with 5 people but missing the fart can exhaust.

Here is what I was thinking ceramic Thorley Headers to keep the heat from building up at the exhaust. I have a tranny cooler but don't see a real good place to put it ( remember I drive in North Dakota and Minnesota where I drive through snow drifts every winter a 3' drift and a tranny cooler in front of the radiator might be asking for problems.. IDK. A magna flow muffler purely for audio, the truck is too quiet, also a better flowing intake.

Any thoughts, suggestions, am I asking too much out of the 2.7L auto?

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I have always found that the "Cushioned mount" tow hitches work the best. It reduces the stopping and starting, bumps and humps, shock from affecting the drivetrain of the tow vehicle.

As far as putting on more hp, headers, intake etc...your not getting to much for the $$ buy some new St. Croix rods, or put some pipes/clutch kit on the sled..you'll be happier in the end.

Products Discussed in

To Top