1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

100,000 miles

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BrianPK, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Jan 10, 2008 at 11:13 PM
    BrianPK

BrianPK [OP] Offroad Enthusiast

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
    Hey guy's, i just hit the 100,000 mile marker in my 01.

a friend of mine told me i should have it taken in for a very in depth service. i was reading up on it, and it looks like the 120,000 mile service is more extensive. i bought it used, and have no idea how the other owner/owners drove or treated it. would it be wise just to have the 120,000 mile service done early?

is there anything special i should have looked at/replaced while they're in there?

and how much should i expect to spend, living in california?

i know there are those of you who have had this done... this is my first car... the last one was all taken care of for me. i just want to make sure this thing is really well cared for.

thanks
    also, is it worth it to run synthetic in my system? is there anything special i need to do to make the switch? i know it's expensive, so i want it done right the first time.

thanks again!

2. Jan 11, 2008 at 12:20 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Aside from the normal oil changes & tire rotations,check air filter, etc.....
    Depending on how mechanical you are - you could do all this stuff yourself.

**Since it's a used truck and you don't know what's been done - You probably should change the timing belt (3.4L) and the water pump. Have the accessory belts changed at the time. This might help ya out little:
    http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Mechanical/WaterPump/WaterPump.htm

**Inspect the anti-freeze, make sure it looks clear (not cloudy, muddy, etc). If it doesn't look clear - have the system flushed and filled.

**Inspect your steering fluid - does it smell burnt? Is it clear? You could do a steering fluid flush also if the fluid smells burnt and is cloudy.

**Change the oils in the transfer case & differentials. If you have an automatic, have the fluid flushed and filled also. Change manual transmission fluid.

**Change fuel filter

**Lubricate driveshaft yokes & u-joints. Look around for other lube points. From what I remember, I don't think there are any greasable ball joints around.

**Check brakes, rotors, clean out drum brakes, etc etc etc.

All this stuff you can do it on your own with a little research. YOu don't necessarily need to do it all in one shot either. All this stuff will cost a fortune to have the dealership do it. So - spread it out...call some buddies to help ya.

3. Jan 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Janster is right, a little at a time, but don't become complacent. Make a list and scratch off what got done and what needs done, remembering that all of it needs to get done. A car, truck, boat, or plane is an investment, and only committed maintenance is a return on it. :thumbsup:

4. Jan 12, 2008 at 7:33 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    I replaced the Timing Belt on my `01 at 74k,the dealer attached a sticker on the frnt, cover w/milage when done...if you have the 3.4v6 the belt is pretty important. I don`t think the the 4s have a belt. If you have the V6 and dont know if the belt has been replaced I stongly suggest you get it done..should be less than $300.00..mine was $ 240 a few yrs. ago

5. Jan 12, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    BrianPK

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
    all very good ideas...

with the exception of the timing belt and water pump, it looks like most of that can be done in my garage...

and you're right, the I4's have a chain. i wonder why they wouldn't put one on the v6... aren't they stronger?

6. Jan 12, 2008 at 8:02 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    My best guess about the chain vs/ belt would be the added weight,noise and need for lubrication with a chain...but the new V6s do have chains now.

7. Jan 13, 2008 at 7:43 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    When either myself or wife hit a big number we usually treat for a nice dinner, maybe the master could send a couple steaks your way ! :hungry:

8. Jan 13, 2008 at 11:57 AM
    BrianPK

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    now THAT would make registering here worth it... LOL jk, the info i've recieved over the last year has totally made it worth it.

as for the topic of this thread, i'm going to start the overhaul immediately. i'll be doing fluids this comming weekend, and my belts/waterpump on the next pay check.

as a side note, i DO like to go play in the mud, and as such, my engine is a little (read A LOT) dirty. it's not oil or anything accept for the diff fluid that was sprayed all over when the seal tore in my front diff... the question is, is there a way to get it really clean and looking like a toyota engine without taking it all apart and scrubbing it?

9. Jan 17, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    TacoSteelerMan

TacoSteelerMan Active Member

Member:
    Arkport N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Toyo,Taco, with 263,000
    dry K&N cold air kit BONE STOCK
    Hi Brian past maintence is one thing you will never change that,but personally I record all the maintence that is done on a notebook (regardless of size of job) that is put into my truck I include Part,Date,Miles,and which side and I am very specific so later I can say exactaly what kind of miles and time the parts were replaced at Best of luck to all

Products Discussed in

To Top