1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear brakes locked up over night????

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mikejfrd, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Sep 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    mikejfrd

mikejfrd [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 98 4cyl Tacoma 4x4 5spd.

I pulled my wave runner out of the lake during the day and drove home with no issues.... I unhooked the trailer, and then parked the truck and put the emergency brake on again with no issues....

The next day I went to use the truck and it would not move. The emergency brake released normally but the truck would not budge. I attempted to put the emergency brake back on and the handle got very tight. I manipulated the brake handle a few more times, but the truck still will not budge???

I tried to put it in 4x4 but it still would not budge. I haven't had a chance to pull the wheels off yet, but I just wanted to pick your brains before I started to work on the truck.

I read a thread in the 2nd gen forum that was simular, but he got the truck fixed at the dealer and really wasn't able to provide an answer as to what was broken and done to fix it.

Thanks.

2. Sep 7, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Wow that is a little odd, does your truck have ABS brake system ? I don't know alot about ABS but I do know that the ABS brake systems do have some wierd traits, how was your emergency brake adjustment before? Did you have to really pull the shit out of the brake lever to get it to brake solidly ? If so you may have pulled it all the way past the adjusters causing it to "lock up". Thats just my guess, maybe someone else has encountered this & can give a more precise & detailed answer, good luck...

3. Sep 8, 2009 at 6:15 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    Im thinking that the lake water may have taken what was left of the grease off the e-brake actuator in the drums and removing them without releasing the actuator will not be possible. you may look where the cable attaches to the rear drum and see if its slack or tight. if it slack then get a hammer and gently tap em in and if its tight your problem is farther towards the brake lever. Hope that helps some. once you get the drums off you should see where you need to lube if thats the problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top