1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame replacement on 2000-2004 Tacomas

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mjmsms69, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM
    mjmsms69

mjmsms69 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 tacoma double cab
    custom wheels tonneau cover bed liner nerf bars
    I called the toyota dealership today to schedule an exhaust installation and I was told that 2 of the mechanics would be spending the next few days replacing frames on 00-04 tacomas. I could not believe that it would be more cost effective for toyota to replace the frame versus doing a trade in that they did for 95-2000. My frame doesn't have any holes but the service manager said that if they found any holes, that is what they would do. Even if someones frame had holes, would you want to have your entire truck converted onto a new frame? I also wonder how long this offer stands in the event my frame starts to rust in the next year or so. Does anyone have the details?

2. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    1. Replacing a frame is cheaper than paying some one 150% of the excellent value of their truck.

2. They don't have any 95.5-00 frames, hence the buy back.

3. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    04coma

04coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Temple Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 trd offroad sr5 prerunner debadged
    air aid intake and throttle body spacer billet grill clear corner lights and 3rdbrake decal "coma" :)
    hmm how long is this going on for and how bad does the rust have to be for an 04?

4. Sep 11, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    Bassetdad

Bassetdad What if God Smoked Cannabis

Member:
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 De-Badged SR5 Access Cab 2.7 / 5m
    Access Tononu Cover AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter American Mag Wheels Bilstein 5100's Black Billet Grill Clear Taillights Perma-Tech sprayed Kennesaw Mountain Rear Bumper Michelin Tires PIAA Driving Lights PIAA Headlights Piaa Tail Light Bulbs Tinted Windows – 50% Toytech AAL URD Short Shifter Tranny - Mobil 1 Engine - Mobil 1 Custom Three Bike In Bed Rack New Toyota Undercoated Frame Clear LED 3rd Brake Light
    Two Beechmont Toyota mechanics in Cincinnati spent a week last March switching my frame out. So far, no complaints. To be honest, I prefer the generation one's over the generation two Tacoma's. I'm grateful that Toyota gave me a new free frame.

5. Sep 11, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i dont want some retard at the dealer swapping my frame over..NO THANKS!!!!!
    im going through this now on my 08.my frame is starting to rust all over.
    does toyota get that when they sell a truck and buy it back at 150%,they are losing money? maybe the shitheads can just build a better frame. the 2nd gen tacos are rusting just like the old ones.

6. Sep 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    paintdiddy

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i think you need a rot hole of a soft spot with the frame. the dealer gives it a hammer test.

7. Sep 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    04coma

04coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Temple Texas
    Vehicle:
    air aid intake and throttle body spacer billet grill clear corner lights and 3rdbrake decal "coma" :)
    haha i dont know why but thats funny. so is there any deadline for this?is there a typical spot it usually starts at?how would i know if its already been swapped?

8. Sep 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    paintdiddy

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i think there is a 15 year window to have it bought back or frame swapped. there is a thread for this issue

9. Sep 11, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    04coma

04coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Temple Texas
    Vehicle:
    does it matter if i bought it used?

10. Sep 11, 2009 at 5:21 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    No it doesn't

11. Sep 11, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Not sure why some of you even buy Toyota if all you can do is bit$h..

My '02 was re-framed and I watched the cab swap...not done by "Monkeys" but by certified techs;):cool:.....they gave me a rental for the entire time,re-man'd my E-brake sytem ( NC to me:)) and matched by outside jobber price for shocks.....and did the Ball joint recall to really NEW UP the '02 truck:cool:

So lets see,how many other MFG's will do this,0....How many take all this "Baby whining" and still try to create a better product,1..Toyota.....

I have owned them for 30+ years and continually get over 100k out of them....My kids grew up in and around them and now own them....

Back to the ORIGINAL TOPIC;

Call your dealer for an inspection....you will either be given a "prep and reseal" of your existing frame or a new frame....With both of those you are then given an extended 15 year warranty......My dealer had specific bays and "techs" doing this work....

Good luck and PLEASE try to read between the lines on some of the "Politics" being fed to you....

S

Wyoming09 likes this.
  12. Sep 11, 2009 at 9:48 PM
    bobalu

bobalu Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner
    Well, I had the frame swap completed exactly 1 week ago today on my 2001 PreRunner (175,000 km). I called around to several dealers inquiring about their experience with frame replacement, as I was pretty aprehensive about this whole ordeal. I settled on a shop with a "frame replacement crew", so to speak. The manager explained that he had 2 guy's who have done several frames over the years (not just the Tacoma program) and have it down to an efficient science. The truck is tight and smooth as ever, no parts have fallen off, and the entire underside looks like it just came off the assembly line. New leaf springs, lower suspension arms, E-brake cabling, brake lines. I too commend Toyota for stepping up to the plate on this. Name me another manufacturer who would do this, and extend the warranty on the replaced frame for 15 years. Except for the frame, I have never had any issues with my truck in the 8 years/175,000km of ownership, save for regular maintenance. I really didn't want a buy back (my trucks paid for, and even with the generous buy back, I'd have to go back to car payments :( for a new Taco of my choice). I'm very happy and satisfied with the frame replacement.:)

13. Jul 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    gbioguy

gbioguy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma TRD
    Well Toyota no longer stands behind thier products and workmenship. I too have a 2004 Tacoma TRD off-road package and recently learned of a rusting and rotting frame from a recent state inspection. When I inquired at Toyota they told me that the window for fixing their poor quality frames has expired eventhough I just learned of the problem. I guess I'll never again in my lifetime buy a Toyota product now that I know they will not correct a problem which their poor workmenship created. :mad:

14. Jul 15, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    They sent out letters/emails to every address associated with the VINs informing everyone of the inspections.

15. Jul 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    yota32

yota32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toyota is still replacing frames; you just didn't meet the deadline for getting your frame inspected (which I believe was April 2011).

16. Jul 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    four year revival. not bad.

17. Jul 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    gbioguy

gbioguy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma TRD
    For those who were successfully contacted by Toyota it is a four year revival. For those like myself who were not contacted it is a new and very expensive issue. Why should there be a time limit on correcting poor workmanship? Toyota was compensated 25 million by the company who made the frames. All I am asking is for Toyota to replace my frame.

When I purchased the truck new I was told it was the top of the line, 4x4 TRD off-road package. Thats why it cost so much money. It was only 8 years old when the frame rot was discovered during a PA state inspection.

I don't know about you but I do not have another $30,000.00 + to invest in a new truck. I thought Toyota's were built to last. Guess not huh. If Toyoto does not make good on this truck I will never again buy another. Plus I will do my best to spread the word about the poor quality of Toyota vehicles.

18. Jul 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    tacomalimited

tacomalimited Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 tacoma limited double cab Short bed 4x4.
    That sucks! I agree there should be no time frame. A 9 year old truck shouldn't have the frame rotting away! This is my first Toyota, and one of the reasons I bought it was legendary Toyota reliability,but, it doesn't matter how reliable it is if the frame is rotting away beneath it!if i start to see frame rot on mine, i will trade it in before it's too late, and go back to Chevy.I'm hoping the frame rust issue is corrected on the 2nd generation! Btw, this problem seems to be exclusive to Tacoma's only! Why is that?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  19. Jul 16, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    grovestreet

grovestreet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah I bought my 04 last year and by the time I knew about the recall it was over. Not happy. The previous owner didn't do nothing about it...

20. Jul 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Not sure WHY you were not notified BUT all VIN's living in designated states were issued the "notice/campaign" bulletin....so that SUCKS!!!

BUT I will be upfront and say you "Jumping at folks" will get you no-where at Toyota...threatening to "bad mouth " them is what ??? With nothing to loose at this point..try a calm approach...just might get better results..

And not to "stir the pot" BUT TOYOTA is the ONLY builder to even remotely try to remedy RUST.....My buddies with Jeeps are CONSTANTLY repairing frames on their "dime"...GM buddies lose front ends due to rust and just get :) from the dealer..

Yes, I am one of the lucky ones that has been re-framed BUT Also has new Ball joints and spare tire carrier care of TOYOTA's dime....LOOK ^^^^^^^^^^^....See if any of the "other guys" is remotely trying to do "THAT".....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top