Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

diff. locker characteristics???

Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold
Name: Justin
04coma's Tacoma Gallery
Question diff. locker characteristics???

i havent used my locker but a couple of times. the first time i used it it engaged and disengaged just fine(i was in a small ditch). the second time i used it i THOUGHT i was stuck in some hella mud i engaged it and got out. however it took a bit for it to disengage and for my speedometer to start working again. the third time was tonite pulled in the yard to unload some groceries (been raining non stop past two days here) I didnt want to take the chance on putting ruts in my yard getting out(my tires are almost bald), so i engaged it and it took 2 or 3 minutes to engage not like before. i get out of the yard my speedometer works fine i put it in park disengage it and it wouldnt. i took it around the block slowly of course and about midways through it disengaged itself. Is this normal characteristics of it? am i doing something wrong? will it really hurt anything if you operate it over 5mph off roading?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold04coma is a splendid one to behold
04coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
You will be fine driving faster than 5mph. You can pretty much go as fast as you want. But dont drive it fast on pavement! But you can speed up an pavement to disengage it if you have to.
ok so is that a normal way to get it to disengage? shoudnt hurt nothing?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
04coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Mine does that sometimes too. Im pretty sure its normal. Whats the total amount of times you have used it?
uhh idk 3 maybe 4 times?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
so it can be disengaged while moving?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
atmospheric is on a distinguished road
atmospheric's Tacoma Gallery
for some reason i have to turn my steering wheel slightly to one side and then press the gas a little bit for it to engage..this is in drive.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
i normally engage mine by just a little tap on the gas and its locked. yea it will disengage wile moving but if im going kinda fast im going straight so the tires are spinning the same speed.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
04coma's Tacoma Gallery
thx for the advice guys
Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
if you dont want it disengaging, you can look up the blue wire mod. basically you cut a wire and it tricks the computer into thinking its always grounded. then you can use it in any gear you want, and you have a 2 lo, which is useful. and you can go as fast as you want, but still needs to be engaged while not moving
Old 09-13-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know the differences between the 2x TRD w/locking diff & the 4x ,mine is 4x & the diff only locks in 4 lo, & usually a little rocking back & forth will engage it,always disengages when I shift transfer from lo to high or from 4 lo to 2 wheel drive. I guess this is normal
Old 09-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
Carone will become famous soon enoughCarone will become famous soon enough
Carone's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Carone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
I don't know the differences between the 2x TRD w/locking diff & the 4x ,mine is 4x & the diff only locks in 4 lo, & usually a little rocking back & forth will engage it,always disengages when I shift transfer from lo to high or from 4 lo to 2 wheel drive. I guess this is normal
Grey wire mod lets you lock the diff in any transfer case position.

And yes that sounds pretty normal. I found the best way to engage is to turn the wheel quite a bit and roll forward slowly the goal is to get the side gears to mesh and different wheel speeds from left to right will help.