1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper Shell/Top with a Boot/Pass-Through...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by CheeseWithTaco, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    CheeseWithTaco

CheeseWithTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun DubCab Lunar
    grrr...
    does anyone have a boot pass-through that connects the camper with the cab, that is water tight? can please post pics? im thinking about doing this. and how is the camper noise?

2. Sep 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Be aware that the pass-through boots are notorious for rubbing off paint around the rear cab window ...

Luv my yota and Hamer95USA like this.
  3. Feb 3, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    califtacoma

califtacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Double Cab Stock
    Snug Top Super Sport, Wet Okole Seat covers (The Kind)
    I just bought the Snug Top Super Sport truck cap in white and it looks great. I have the boot and it does make an annoying rubbing noise. I am going to have it removed and a drop down slide window installed. These are only $100 when you order with the shell and they are $275.00 after the fact, THAT SUCKS! They recommended that I lube the rubber seal with silicon and the rubbing will go away but they don't say that the paint will not come off over time so I am just going to have the window installed. The only noise I hear is from the rubber boot rubbing on the bacl cab.

4. Jul 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    Aku

Aku Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport Stormtooper
    SnugTop Sport, Weathertec mats
    I went opposite of you... Got the same exact shell in the same color for my 2010 Taco. But I went without the boot. What bugs me, is the two windows ( one on the cab and one on the shell ) are only about an inch apart. They both have the center slider, but the rest of it is almost uncleanable ( <- pretty sure I just made that word up ). Nothing is worse than a window with film on it.

I was thinking about putting the boot ON.... but I was concerned with it tearing or the seal breaking when off road due to the torsion. Any experience like that?

5. Jul 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I had one on an 86 Toyota. With the cab slider open, it was loud. The boot destroyed the paint on the cab, even with a "boot guard" clear plastic applied to the cab. It did not leak though. Other than the paint issue, I liked it. I used to leave the side windows on the shell open, open the cab slider, and then I had flow through ventilation. Nice for when you don't have AC. Or for transporting the dog.

When I bought my current shell they had to special order it. Since I was going on a trip, they were nice enough to loan me another that they had in stock. The loaner had a boot. It was nowhere close to fitting correctly around the third brake light. You could see light through it very easily. Not sure if it was just that one shell, or if they are all that way. Also not sure if the cutout on the shell is the same for boot and window options.

6. Jul 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    I made my own. It isn't completely water tight but no snow gets inbetween the cab and the shell. It has kept most of the water out, except when I drive through the gutters with rain water, then I see some slip down the window.

7. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    califtacoma

califtacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Double Cab Stock
    Snug Top Super Sport, Wet Okole Seat covers (The Kind)
    On my snu top shell the window in the shell has two latches that allow you to pull the shell window inside the shell so you can easily clean the shell window and the Taco window. Does your not have those latches you may want to take a closer look. :cool:

8. Jul 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    Rdy2offrd88

Rdy2offrd88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    02 DC TRD
    Deckplate, CB w/ 4ft Firestick, Bedrug
    I recently pulled off my Snug Top of my 02 DC with a rubber boot on it after buying it with the topper on because I wanted to see how it looked and the paint was infact rubbed off in spots along the top of the shell. As far as the seal, it is not completely water-tight but it does a pretty good job IMO.

9. Jun 2, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    JpAdct

JpAdct Well-Known Member

Member:
    PB County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma ExtCab
    I know this is an old thread, but relevant. I just picked up a Snugtop w/this boot thing for my DC Tacoma. I hate the rubbing noise and now you all have me wondering about my paint. It’s only been on for a few months so I might be OK. Has anybody successfully done away with this boot and added a sliding window to their topper? If so, where’s you find it? Thanks!!!

10. Jun 2, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    970btu

970btu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4 5spd ext limited TRD 55K and counting
    OME, SPC UCA, ARB w/warn 10K winch, TG Rock Defense Rear, Marlin Clutch, Custom hi clearance under bed spare mount. 285/75/16. A ton of repairs done and a list up to come modifications.
    Are you going to sell the boot?

11. Jun 2, 2019 at 7:18 PM
    JpAdct

JpAdct Well-Known Member

Member:
    PB County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma ExtCab
    If I found a worthy resolution, everything has a price.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  12. Jun 6, 2019 at 10:02 AM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    When I bought my shell I also bought a boot. A couple days later I washed the truck and water got down between the boot and the shell... and inside the shell.
    I took the boot off and stored it for a couple of years in the garage. Then I trashed it. I don't think boots are a good idea due to the paint on the back of the cab getting scuffed, and due to the leaks that are inherent in them.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Sodom likes this.
  13. Jun 6, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    JpAdct

JpAdct Well-Known Member

Member:
    PB County, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma ExtCab
    Thanks! So were you able to just add a window in place of the boot? If so, where did you get the window and was it a direct bolt in/screw in?

14. Jun 6, 2019 at 9:23 PM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    The shell I bought already had a latching slider in its front. You could find the ID tag on the shell (if it's still there) and call the company who made it and price out a slider. ;)

JpAdct likes this.
  15. Jun 7, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    Luv my yota

Luv my yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 turd lift 33's
    Kings,total chaos uppers, Deavers, JBA headers, Borla exhuast, engine mods, DC power 270 amp alt, 2k watts of sound, gps alarm.
    Forget the boot that comes precut from the snug top. What you want is called an accordion boot it will allow for removal of the back cab window and actually seals the cab and shell, it attaches to the shell from the window. They are made for blow through setups with huge subwoofer boxes, or walk throughs. Call Meece audio in Lancaster, Ca., and Dave or Jeff will set you up with one. It never rubs and it works like those big boots between double length buses, just be sure to get good soda machine locks for the shell because shells make your truck easier to steal. Thieves target trucks with shells because they can get in the shells windows easily and go right through the back window and drive off, but a good alarm should be fine. You would retain the space between cab and shell this way, and you can camp in the bed with no rear window, I used to like it because a friend could get a ride and talk through the window hole, and paint won’t rub off.:thumbsup:

970btu and cruiserguy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top