Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mudding!!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
YoungTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Alex
YoungTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Question Mudding!!

i go all the time, but my dad says he doesnt want me to anymore. he says my taco will break... HAHA. but i was just wondering what some high risks of things breaking or getting messed up over time... and what would it cost to fix these things?
Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
SubZombie's Tacoma Gallery
It's a 4wd truck, you're supposed to take it in the mud.

Just clean it off good after you're done and aslong as you don't do anything too crazy for your current setup you'll be fine.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
How many words can be fit in this s
jdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdkeller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
jdkeller's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTaco View Post
i go all the time, but my dad says he doesnt want me to anymore. he says my taco will break... HAHA. but i was just wondering what some high risks of things breaking or getting messed up over time... and what would it cost to fix these things?
is it yours? legally and money wise? How old are you? haha
Old 09-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Wiskey Tango Foxtrot....
bwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbwood_usmc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Corporal MACS-2
Name: Ben
bwood_usmc's Tacoma Gallery
I know in my old 85 yota it tore the whole front end up.... it wore out the spindles and the barrings..... it got so bad i had to pack my barrings once a week at least...
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
haha you will break stuff going off road, its part of the hobby

but my part is i do recovery, when dumb ass friends get stuck i pull em out, and have the most fun

but i clib mud and everything else
Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
i am 16 years old with years of off road experience with our atv's. ive heard of repacking the bearings, and that if you bog out too deep you can suck water up your exhaust. but i dont do anything too heavy. i just dont want too break my truck. and is it possible for me to repack my bearings? ive heard yes and no
Old 09-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
and no it isnt mine money wise... but i pay the insurance. about 1200 a year
Old 09-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
i am completely aware of that that is why i only have done light little muddy field playing. i meant i know how to approach a hole and what will get me stuck
Old 09-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
i am 16 years old with years of off road experience with our atv's. ive heard of repacking the bearings, and that if you bog out too deep you can suck water up your exhaust. but i dont do anything too heavy. i just dont want too break my truck. and is it possible for me to repack my bearings? ive heard yes and no
yes you can pack bearings but be sure to do it right, and any mud will break a truck eventually, wash it off keep it clean is my best advise
Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
SubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the roughSubZombie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
This isn't an ATV. It's a 15-20K dollar vehicle.

I'd wager closer to a 10K vehicle which really isn't much more than an ATV these days :P
Old 09-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #12
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
and no it isnt mine money wise... but i pay the insurance. about 1200 a year
If the truck isn't in your name, then it belongs to whomever is on the title. If that is your dad, and he says no to 4 wheeling, then you must respect his wishes. If you want to 4 wheel that badly, then go buy your own truck to do with as you please.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
If the truck isn't in your name, then it belongs to whomever is on the title. If that is your dad, and he says no to 4 wheeling, then you must respect his wishes. If you want to 4 wheel that badly, then go buy your own truck to do with as you please.

*writes 'ImpulseRed008' in memo pad under 'No Fun'*
Old 09-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZombie View Post
*writes 'ImpulseRed008' in memo pad under 'No Fun'*
lol
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
i tried to buy cheap truck but he didnt go for that and i dont have that kind of money... i like my light field muddin. anyone see any major problems goin wrong wth that?? i mean i cant have a 4x4 tacoma and not stretch its legs with a little mud every now and then
Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 PM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Just don't drive/ride it like a quad & you'll do fine, off roading is about 80% common sense & 20% vehicle, no shit , I've seen 4x's (including Toyotas) that are soooo tricked out, get soooo stuck because whoever was at the wheel was soooo stuck on stupid thinking that their truck was gonna do all the work, its a tool, a tool we all love but a tool just the same, like stated above ya gonna play ,ya gonna pay meaning you have to stay on it maintenance wise, clean your ride after playing & inspect it to see what damage you did & trust me you will damage shit, but you have to be diligent about it or sooner or later its going to take a shit on you, over something that will be minor that should have been tightened ,fixed, or replaced...
Attached Thumbnails
Mudding!!-web-dsc00281.jpg   Mudding!!-web-dsc00282.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #17
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZombie View Post
I'd wager closer to a 10K vehicle which really isn't much more than an ATV these days :P

Still 10K that isn't his.

And I'm from Canada, that vehicle is worth 15-20 up here in beaver pelts.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #18
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
dude get a job and stop acting like you are entitled to do whatever you want with your dads truck
Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #19
homer96 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh...or Homer
homer96's Tacoma Gallery
I know the feeling youngtaco...My dad said no to off-road also. Even though I've payed for everything that's been done to my truck since I've had it (oil changes, shocks/struts, air filter, 90% of the gas, and soon, tires) but i don't really mud because i still don't want to piss him off. I might get some mud on it every now and again but I don't do anything too retarded because It's not my truck...yet.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #20
Whaaat?
Jay W. is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Vounteer Fireman: Walker McElmoyle #16
Name: Jay
Jay W.'s Tacoma Gallery
Be reasonable..if he's very adamant about you not wanting to take the truck in the mud, then agree to his wishes.

However, if you can show him that you can take care of the truck (thoroughly cleaning it after your mudding trips, making sure your brakes, and undercarriage components aren't covered and caked with the stuff), he may allow you to continue.

If not..well, you have an ATV, IMO they're as much fun in the mud as a truck, and a heck of a lot easier to clean.