1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dim LED bulbs with ignition off

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cheesycook, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Sep 18, 2009 at 11:09 PM
    Cheesycook

Cheesycook [OP] Geek with a gun

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Someone mentioned previously that this was a known issue. I just replaced my interior light bulbs with led bulbs. It is great to have a directed light so my map light isn't shining in my eyes. When the ignition is on it works perfectly. With the ignition off I just get a dim glow out of the bulbs. Does anyone know what causes this apparent change in voltage?

2. Jan 22, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    johnyt2

johnyt2 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    johnyt
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Debadged
    Clear Corners, Roll Bar, Flowmaster, 4- 6x8 infiniti kappas,Diamond D3 10'' sub, eclipse cd5030, Color match satoshi grill, color match fender flares and corner lights. DEBADGED, trd plates.
    I have the same problem. Let me know when you figure it out.

3. Jan 23, 2010 at 12:10 AM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Ended up going to a gel coated standard bulb. nowhere near as bright when the motor is on but it works. Was thinking of using a relay for full power but don't have any time on my hands.

4. Jan 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Alternator puts out around 14V when it's working properly, fully charged battery only puts out 12V. This is the case for pretty much any car since the alt voltage has to be higher than the batt voltage for the battery to recharge off the alternator.

The apparent difference in voltage is an actual difference, and it's perfectly normal since the alt voltage is where the electrical system is at when the engine is running, but when it's off you're drawing from the battery.

LED lights for auto use should be set to work fine at 12V, though

5. Jan 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    True but Toyota set these dome lights even lower during an ignition off scenario as a dimmer light. So low that the LED lights only flicker at best.

Products Discussed in

To Top