1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Teaching sister to drive stick...help

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Blumpkinson, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Sep 20, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson [OP] Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Alright so the first thing my sister asks when she gets in my truck is when am i going to teach her how to drive stick. Her and her fiance want to get a jeep to screw around with for like the beach and whatnot( i know... a jeep:confused: but they don't want to spend alot so a tacoma was out of the question). The problem is that neither of them can drive stick, yet they want a manual jeep. So being the only one in the family with a stick vehicle that leaves the taco as the guinnea pig:(.

The truck is an 03 with only 68,000 miles and the clutch is in really good shape. So how much damage could actually be done by teaching them, cause i'm broke so if the clutch starts slipping i'm pretty much screwed.

Also does anyone have any tips that'll make the process alittle less painfull for me and the truck.

2. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    dont let them. let me girlfriend try driving, what a mistake that was

3. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    uh jsut dont tke her on a highway. i learned in aparking lot. or a back road that nobody uses woujld work. trick is to get her used to the idea of shifting throught the gears. not worried about power over, power under, double clutchin rev matching all that shtuff :D

4. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    yeah, getting her to get the truck into first gear is gonna be a huge obstacle. But i'm the only one who can, so it pretty much has to happen cause they have done alot for me.

5. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    rent them a maunel uhal for the day, 20 bucks for a hour or like 600 for a new clutch

6. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    yeah. go rent a car. with a stick. i learned in a volkswagon beetle

7. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I taught both my boys how to drive a stick, with my oldest son Jeff I had no clue how to teach someone how to shift, took several days. With Josh I came up with the idea of not giving it any gas at all to start. Just slowly let out the clutch to get started over and over. Once this was nice and smooth we started to give it gas. Once the jack rabbiting stopped we moved on to shifting gears. In one day and he had it down.

8. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    damn, yeah thats a great idea and then i could beat the piss out of the rental. Yay dumping the clutch at the rev limiter:D

9. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Did you just let him stall it every time he let the clutch out w/o giving it gas?

10. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    Ptowntaco

Ptowntaco Camburg :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Petaluma Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    Tint, Socked, Deck Plate mod, Camburg 2.5 coils, Camburg UCA, 5100's in the rear, Custom Deaver leaf pack, Micky Thomson Classic Locks, BFG KM2, CB
    I remember back when i was leaning when i was 16 my first car was a stick and i was having a hard time with the clutch cause i was trying to slip the clutch with the gas. Then my dads friend told me to not hit the gas at all and just try and let the clutch out till it grabs and just keep doing that till i am comfortable with the clutch enough to give it some gas and try shifting. Once i got were the clutch grabs i had no problem shift or anything and i did not mess up the clutch.

I hope that helped and u understand what i mean lol

11. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    whenever in doubt push the clutch in, thats the key

12. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    Ptowntaco

Ptowntaco Camburg :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Petaluma Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    Tint, Socked, Deck Plate mod, Camburg 2.5 coils, Camburg UCA, 5100's in the rear, Custom Deaver leaf pack, Micky Thomson Classic Locks, BFG KM2, CB
    lol might help if i read the post first hahaha yea but just what he said lol took me a day once i got that down

13. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I tried to teach two girls how to drive a manual trans.

Both had some knowledge of what to do/had been "taught" before (one was taught to keep the gas around 2k, keep it there, then let off the clutch....which is a horrible way. I made her close her eyes and do it by feel :laugh:

I'd say start out in Lo gear and have them not give it any gas but let the clutch out (it wont stall in lo gear even if you're giving it no gas :)) so they can find the friction point. then once they think they have it, go back to hi and tell them to do it again. truck will still move without gas. once they are confident, tell them to start giving it gas. basically you want the pedals in opposite positions. if the clutch is on the floor, you dont want to give it any gas. (i know im telling you stuff you already know) whenever they start letting the clutch out, they'll want to give equal amount of throttle. once they're at the friction point, give a lil more gas and then they dont need the clutch anymore.

i remember when i started, going from stopped to first was the hardest. once they get that down, going from 1 to 2 is cake.

14. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    another option is that you'll check out the jeep for them, take it for a test drive with them in it, drive it to their place, blah blah blah, then if they decide they want it, they can learn on their own damn car :)

15. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    Blumpkinson

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    thanks for the advice guys, i'm gonna see if i can teach her fiance on my truck first. By getting him to get use to the clutch with no gas to keep things less complicated and go from there. He will be the easy one, my sister is the "dumb blonde" type so getting her to understand what the hell the third pedal is might be a real challenge. A rental might come in handy there.

16. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    fletch aka

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    All he was concentrating was slowly letting the clutch out to get the truck moving. He stalled it a couple of times then he got it. Unless you dump the clutch without gas it's hard to stall a fuel injected vehicle. Nice and slow and off we would go.

17. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    do we really need to double clutch with out trucks? or do we have decent syncronizers that kinda do that part for us?

18. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    fletch aka

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    I have been driving sticks since 1972 and the only vehicle I have ever had to double clutch was my dad's 58 Dodge pick up.

19. Sep 20, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    SRQ TACO

SRQ TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5lug Lowered & 2008 Tacoma 4x4 Lifted
  20. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:28 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    LOL , who the hell is double clutching & road speed -RPM match-shifting ??? what is it a 373v detroit diesel w/16 speed Allison ? Tell them (in a nice way if possible) exactly what you said about your Toy being a guinnie pig & it would be better if they just got a bottom of the line econo-rental w/manual tranny for a couple days, insure heavily & learn in the nearest,largest, most object/people free area they can find....No way let them abuse your baby what the hells wrong with you ?? j/k...:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top