Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Timing Belt Kit

Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: AMMO
Name: Daniel
TacomaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Timing Belt Kit

http://www.timingbeltkit.com/servlet...ng-belt/Detail

Does this seem like a good deal to you guys? I dont know yet if i have an oil cooler but i will soon find out when i get home. So if you could let me know if this is worth it before i buy it i would greatly appreciate it!

1996 3.4 w/ 122,000 mi and no record of timing belt change! And yes my goal is to hook up the engine with all new front seals and gaskets also!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
do you think i shouldtear it apart and find out what i need? Im guessing that would probably be best but it would increase down time. i dont exactly need the truck right now because im driving the wifes car. shes deployed.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Don't go off ninjin
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...+T100+Tundra+4)

So how about this one? or should i find parts for each individual thing from different stores?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
My wife's 98 4Runner has the 3.4L V6 and has 174K and do for the the timing belt change again at 180k. I checked on price for the parts at my local Toyota dealer: water pump $136, timing belt $52, I forget what the tensioner, gaskets and other misc. parts were but the total came to about $280. That price did not include new belts or hoses. If I were you, I would buy OEM Toyota parts so you don't have to worry about a defective after market part failing, especially the water pump and timing belt.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #6
Don't go off ninjin
ya thats true. ill give them a call when i get off work in a few. freaking autozone wants 159 for the timing belt tensioner and pulley!?!?!?!?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDan View Post
do you think i shouldtear it apart and find out what i need? Im guessing that would probably be best but it would increase down time. i dont exactly need the truck right now because im driving the wifes car. shes deployed.
Shop around for things that you will need...timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, & thermostat. The other stuff....is questionable whether you need it or not.

The water pump doesn't need a 'gasket' - you can use RTV for that. When I did mine - I didn't need to buy a new tensioner.

Getting factory parts is a good idea..... but don't hesitate to bargain. Shop around for the cheapest prices online and then call your local dealership for price quotes. If you find a cheaper price online - then call your local dealership back and say, "Hey, I found a cheaper price online"
In some cases....your local dealership will price match. I've done this many times.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #8
TRD
NotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the rough

NotstockTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDan View Post
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...+T100+Tundra+4)

So how about this one? or should i find parts for each individual thing from different stores?
has anyone bought this kit??
Old 10-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
TRD
NotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the roughNotstockTRD is a jewel in the rough

or know if its good quality??
Old 10-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
TRD

bump
Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
I would check out www.lcengineering.com

FIXED.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentRedz View Post
that link appears to be broken...
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #13
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I just did my timing belt, water pump, drive belts, thermostat and gasket yeaterday. All the parts for the job came to $207.54. This price was employee price plus 10% and tax. I did not get the tensioner or replace it, but if you go that route you will need to get the tensioner tool, this bad boy.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
I just did my timing belt, water pump, drive belts, thermostat and gasket yeaterday. All the parts for the job came to $207.54. This price was employee price plus 10% and tax. I did not get the tensioner or replace it, but if you go that route you will need to get the tensioner tool, this bad boy.
where did you get your parts?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotstockTRD View Post
where did you get your parts?
An associate.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
TRD

come on fellas... where is the best/reasonable place to pick up a 3.4 V6 timing belt w/waterpump kit online???
Old 10-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
The TW 1%
Try partstrain

Other than that I'd try the dealership. OE parts really can't be beat for quality, might cost a little more but what would you pay in shipping?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #18
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Fixed. There kits use OEM parts.

www.lcengineering.com
Old 10-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentRedz View Post
Fixed. There kits use OEM parts.

www.lcengineering.com
I can not find any kits for the 5VZ on there.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #20
TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
I can not find any kits for the 5VZ on there.
neither could i