1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible battery issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 99TRD, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Jan 21, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    99TRD

99TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    It has gotten pretty cold up here the last few days and the Taco is feeling the effects. The last three or four times I started it after it sat our for a few hours, it went dead, I turned the key back, it struggled, then started. Today was the worst as it took a few times to get it to go.

I am guessing it is the battery. My Scan Gauge II is in the mail and should be here Tuesday, so I am hoping that will give me some insight.

Any other ideas?

2. Jan 21, 2008 at 7:38 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    could be a clogged up fuel filter, but as cold as it is, battery is probably a good bet. have you checked the water/electrolytes in the battery? load test?? run it by autozone if you get a chance......their machine(and free test) should help out. by the way......how old is the battery??

3. Jan 21, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Sounds like a dead battery. If it's been over 4 years go ahead and get a new one. My wife's OEM battery in the Honda Pilot lasted just barely over 3 years.

4. Jan 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Clean and check all your terminals/connections.

Yeah, especially if the battery is old - they show signs of their age.

Perhaps you could take it out for a longer drive and get the alternator to charge it up some. Unless of course, there's something wrong with the charging system. Just guessing.

But then again - years ago, I had a car with a battery that was sluggish for 3 years. The dealership kept telling me to change it. Finally, one winter I decided to change it. But at that point, it never left me sit. It was sluggish for those 3 years.
    :confused:

5. Jan 22, 2008 at 4:29 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    My guess is a weak battery. By the way, if you want to have your charging system (alternator) tested and have an exact diagnostic, they absolutely have to put in a new battery. You can't test an alternator with a dead battery, it will screw up all the results and they are gonna end up maybe changing parts for nothnig.
    By the way, the only way to check a battery correctly is doing a load test which means loading it it with half the CCA during 15 seconds and the voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts.
    You can also try 200 amps for 10 seconds and it should not go below than 10.5 volts.
    The best way to test an alternator is to use an amp clamp that you put around the positive wire that comes out of the alternator, you let your car idle, turn all the electrics off(lights, radio etc...) you check the amps and the voltage you got. Then you put rear defrost on and you should have at least 10 amps more and the same voltage which should be around 14.4 volts.
    I wanted to tell you this because there are a lot of mechancis out there that don't know how to test a charging system correctly and the customer usually ends up paying for things that never should have been replaced.

6. Jan 22, 2008 at 2:26 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I can't add anymore, great job guys ! Yeah...like I know what I'm talking about:lalala:

7. Jan 23, 2008 at 8:38 AM
    99TRD

99TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRD OR DC Auto V6
    Smoke headlights, improved LED tail lights...Pending: De-chrome badges and grille, new tires
    Thanks for everything guys. I had the battery tested and it came back marginal, which up here, is no good. I bought a new battery and everything is good.

Products Discussed in

To Top