1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0171 code wont go away

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tmantstud, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Oct 9, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    tmantstud

tmantstud [OP] High Mileage Work

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    Bed liner, Polk db651s speakers, JVC head unit, Coverking custom saddle blanket seat cover
    Where did you find a new one for $150, most of mine that I have found have been much more expensive

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    00YotaComa

00YotaComa HAWAII SELLS MORE TACOMAS THAN ANY OTHER STATE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    1in. leveling kit, Deck plate mod, grey wire mod, K&N Filter , custom paint, Cyron LED lighting, head and tail blackouts
  3. Oct 12, 2009 at 11:15 PM
    The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Someone said clean it with electric parts cleaner which is a good idea...I tried blasting some cleaner on mine and it didn't help so I messed with the o2 sensors and nothing. Afterwards, I took the maf out again and got some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and kinda scrubbed at it...So far no light after two full tanks and I have noticed that it starts up a lot better too since I did that...praying that it will stay away...just an idea before ya throw any money at it.

4. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    tmantstud

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    Bed liner, Polk db651s speakers, JVC head unit, Coverking custom saddle blanket seat cover
    Hmm, maybe I will try that. I have already cleaned the maf twice and replaced the o2 sensors since I knew they were bad. Ill give it a shot.

5. Oct 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    tmantstud

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    upon searching for parts I am finding many tacoma MAF sensors of the right years ranges 98-00 but the part number do not match even if it is a 2.4L part. What are the differences between a 22250-02050 sensor which is exactly what I need and a 22250-0C010? they look the same. If i tried to use the other sensor would it not register in my vehicle? Any ideas

6. Oct 27, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    MarkOlson

MarkOlson Gray beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma Regular Cab
    I don't have much Toyota experience, but with my Ford, that code is way more likely due to an exhaust or vacuum leak. It is a lot cheaper to fix a leak than to guess and try replacing expensive parts.

I have found propane to work a little better than carb cleaner at finding vacuum leaks, but I have missed quite a few leaks using that method. A smoke machine is the best way, IMHO. I use a local shop with a smoke machine first whenever I have these codes. Then you know for sure if it is a vacuum or exhaust leak or not.

7. Oct 28, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    00YotaComa

00YotaComa HAWAII SELLS MORE TACOMAS THAN ANY OTHER STATE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    1in. leveling kit, Deck plate mod, grey wire mod, K&N Filter , custom paint, Cyron LED lighting, head and tail blackouts
    I had toyota make sure that is was the MAF b4 i spent the money on the part. Normally it'll cost $$$ to have a diagnostic done by dealership. I got lucky and have some REALLY cool people that work at my local toyota. When I ordered my part from carson toyota, they have an option to enter your VIN# with the order to guarantee it's the right part. I am checking the carson site right now and.....HOLY SHIT!!! Good God the price for urs is UNBELIVEABLE. I had no idea it costs that much. I've got a 2000 6cyl and urs is a 98 4cyl right. Mine costs like 120 and urs is like 560. I dont' even know what to tell u. Why the costs are so different in between a couple year difference.....no idea. Uhhhhhhmmmm...best of luck to ya.......sorry man. :(:(:(

8. Oct 28, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    tmantstud

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    I already had vacuum tube laying around so i was going to do that anyway, but the best price I've found for my MAf is $106 refurbished with a one year warranty. There are so many sensors online for the 6cyl or the 2.7L but hardly any for mine, and it is becoming frustrating. Awhile ago i had my exhaust checked for leaked while I replaced my O2 sensors that had gone bad. Now I just need to figure out this code. If anyone knows of interchangeable Mafs that could probably save me mucho dinero $$$. Thank you all so much for the help and advice

9. Nov 28, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    tmantstud

Member:
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma high mileage
    The code is gone and check engine light went off. Replaced the MAF sensor and all my vacuum hoses. Truck is running much better

Products Discussed in

To Top