Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen Suspension Install

Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #141
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
Sure thing, check my build in the upcoming days for pics
Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #142
soup101 is just really nicesoup101 is just really nicesoup101 is just really nicesoup101 is just really nice
Name: Joe
soup101's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for this write-up. I just completed my new suspension (882's and Dakar with AAL) on my 2004 TRD DC 4X4 and used this as a basis for my install. Below are a few tips/advice to add that may help others. I wished I had taken pictures to help describe but once I got into it I didnt want to stop for pics.

- Make sure you have a grinder. I took the advice from John and bought one prior to this install. I needed it for 1 of the front bolts on the leaf. I also decided to use it on the u-bolts since I wasn't reusing them and the nuts proved to be a bitch to get off a 10 year old truck.

- The rear brake line will need to be disconnected or changed for a new longer one when installing the Dakars with the AAL. It is very tough getting to the upper connection with the flare nut. This was probably the toughest/longest part of the install for me. I eventually had to take the bracket off and remove the clip so I could slide the bracket up the hose so I could actually get wrenchs on the flare. If you dont think you can complete this then get it done before you do your swap.

- Use a c clamp and 2 pieces of wood to install the bushing into the rear shocks. I tried for 15 minutes just pushing them in and wasn't anywhere near getting them in. Perhaps theres a better method?

The rear took me a good solid 8 hours. 2 of them was monkeying around with the rear brake line

- Use your stock jack to push down the UCA to line-up the bottom hole of the front shock. I saw it in another thread when I was researching the install and it worked like a charm. Put the base up in the wheel well and get the other end behind the top spindle nut to keep it from slipping.

- As John said the ratcheting wrenches work great on this. For me I had the stock 14mm but didn't have the 17mm for the OME.

Thanks again John and if anyone has any questions PM as this is all fresh in my head as of 8/4/13

Before:

After:
Attached Thumbnails
1st Gen Suspension Install-dsc_0677.jpg   1st Gen Suspension Install-img_0124.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #143
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I am glad that I could help Joe. Post up some before/after pictures of your truck. We would love to see it!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #145
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Looks fantastic!

I always wanted a cap for my truck.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #146
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
So based on what I read in the OP, I can swap my struts out just by removing the top 3 nuts and the bottom bolt, then slide the strut out?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #147
It's a surf spot not a house
LogCabins is on a distinguished road

Army:
LogCabins's Tacoma Gallery
Correct, as long as your replacing it with a whole new strut assembly, very simple.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #148
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBrah View Post
So based on what I read in the OP, I can swap my struts out just by removing the top 3 nuts and the bottom bolt, then slide the strut out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogCabins View Post
Correct, as long as your replacing it with a whole new strut assembly, very simple.
To be clear, the coil spring and shock are mounted together as a single assembly. You can remove and replace the entire assembly very easily: three nuts around the perimeter of the top mount, and the bottom shock bolt on the lower control arm.

However, you cannot replace the shock itself without using a spring compressor to remove it from the coil. Never remove the top center nut on the shock unless you are using a spring compressor. You can rent one or have any decent shop dot his for you.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #149
Stalker
TacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TacoBrah's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, its a strut for coilover swap so should be easy.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:13 PM   #150
dispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddispatch55126 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
dispatch55126's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I just had the mechanic fairy blessing my vehicle that day but a complete OME kit took mt 3.5 hours with hand tools and a battery powered impact wrench.

One trick that helped me was to use ratchet straps to hold the axle while swapping the leaf packs. It made locating the axle very easy and ensured that I wouldn't stretch any lines.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #151
NOLA ItsNotOva is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting this. Will be putting the same kit on mine pretty soon. What were extra things you had to get to do this? While I'm under there, I will be replacing the lower and upper ball joints as well.