Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Crankshaft pulley bolt

Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: AMMO
Name: Daniel
TacomaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Crankshaft pulley bolt

This may be dumb but which way do you turn the crankshaft pulley bolt looking at the engine? im an idiot. haha
Old 10-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
TacoTacoTaco
Cossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cossi's Tacoma Gallery
Well, it depends. Are you looking at the engine from the front or the rear?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
TacoTacoTaco
Cossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shedCossi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cossi's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, seriously righty tighty, lefty loosey.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
standing in front of the truck looking at the front of the engine
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Don't go off ninjin
I thought it was different for the crankshaft bolt?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossi View Post
Okay, seriously righty tighty, lefty loosey.
x2
unless its a left hand bolt
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
TacoTacoTaco

Cossi's Tacoma Gallery
Every single one I have ever turned (i.e. thousands literally) has been a normal thread.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Don't go off ninjin
okey dokey. thanks for your help
Old 10-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
so lefty loosiy righty tighty?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
TacoTacoTaco

Cossi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
so lefty loosiy righty tighty?
yup
Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Like the other poster said "righty tighty, lefty loosey' BUT That fucking bolt is torqued to about 200 & some-odd foot pounds & can be a absolute bastard to get off the conventional way, so either get a good impact gun with the hardened socket & rattle it off or get a breaker bar (big one) with a deep socket, wedge it against a pipe or uni-strut or make sure the breaker bar is long enough to be wedged against the ground, correctly fit the head of the bolt & hold it steady from underneath & have a competent buddy hit the starter at your command & it'll break loose correctly with a solid "snap" if you will. I know it sounds a little sketchy, but I've done this about 8- 10 times & works everytime, the only other bolt I've seen torqued so hard is the glan nut on a VW 268-270 Ft. Lbs.(holds the flywheel to the end of the crank. So If your not comfortable enough with your mechanical knowledge, don't sweat it Bro' cause like I said this particular nut was/is/ & always will be a bastard.... good luck....

P.S. If I knew where you lived I'd come over & pop it for ya so you could see how its done
Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
Don't go off ninjin
Wtf!!!!!

So everything is back together again and i have a question. look at these pics. so should the timing belt markings line up with the markings on the pulleys or should just the pulley markings line up with the markings on the block? Here are my pics. All the markings on the pulleys line up with the markings on the block including the crankshaft.

Edit yo: disregard the white markings on the pulleys
Attached Thumbnails
Crankshaft pulley bolt-download-11.jpg   Crankshaft pulley bolt-download-12.jpg  
Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
Don't go off ninjin
Anyone?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
Don't go off ninjin
three point four liter monster!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #16
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
WOW , & I thought a stubborn nut was the prob. forgive me for being stoned & stupid but was it a front seal change out or timing belt, I haven't had to do the 3.4 yet but from what I can tell from B.S. manual God help you if any crank or cam rotation has taken place without the timing belt/chains in there factory settings, if you know that theres been no movement in either the cam/valve train or crank position then I'd say you are probably ok but think about it, 24 Goddamned valves, 4 cams. From what I can gather there's a real chance of putting a valve into the top of piston if these alignments aren't right when ya fire it up. But then again all you wanted to know was which direction the crank bolt tightened up... What the hell am I trippin' on. If you listen to me you'll have your motor yanked & torn down in your living room....

P.S. just say no !
Attached Thumbnails
Crankshaft pulley bolt-picture-4.jpg  
Old 10-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #17
Don't go off ninjin
umm ya... i already got past the crankshaft bolt. i forgot to mention that tho. my bad.