1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear end not holding it's end of the bargain...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jacob, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Oct 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    Jacob

Jacob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I've got a '99 Tacoma Xtracab with the TRD package - and the rear end seems pathetic. Load it up with a few lawn chairs and some camping gear and she squats like it's got 1000 lbs in it. Simply sitting on the tailgate it'll drop 6".

Are my leaf springs bad? Or is it the rear struts (or are they shocks, I never remember the difference). It seems it should hold way more weight than it does.

Any suggestion on what to get? I want to keep it mostly stock (ie, I don't want to lift it or anything like that). My offroading is limited to bumpy two-track once in awhile.

Thanks for the suggestions. I want her to look like a truck again! My buddy has a Silverado shortbox, and when we sit on the tailgate to drink beer and ponder life, it doesn't move. Given that's a heavier truck, but still.

Thanks,

Jacob

2. Oct 13, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The rears are shocks and they could be bad. An easy way to check is to grab a corner of the bed and shake the truck and then let go. It should stop shaking pretty quick. Have they ever been replaced?

Your leafs could be worn out also. Is there a broken spring?

3. Oct 13, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    shocks could be bad, and leak, and that would cause a very mushy ass end, but also, the stock springs on the first gens wear our rather quickly,especially if the truck is used to haul alot and such. you can get a set of stock height springs from wheelersoffroad.com, or just buy a set of helper springs and use them with the stock springs. if the shocks are shot....you'll definitely need to replace them, and if you are wanting to stay mainly stock, get a decent shock such as bilstein hd shocks.

4. Oct 13, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Depends on how much you want to pay, but you can contact Alcan and have them make a set of springs for you that would keep it stock height. My 01 had a cracked rear leaf that eventually broke all the way through, so I ended up getting a set of Alcans and HD Bilsteins. You'll be amazed the difference it makes. Before the spring upgrade, mine was like what yours sounds like, it sagged at the slightest bit of weight and the ride was horrible. With these new springs, I've had a big, old school big screen tv (at least 300 lbs) and a full weight lifting set (I think about 500) plus towing a trailer with a 500lb motorcycle, and it pushed the rear end down maybe a couple inches, where as before it would probably have broken the remaining springs. The Alcans were about $600 total, but like above said, check Wheelers, they sell some cheaper replacements as well.

5. Oct 13, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    EmoSlayer

EmoSlayer METAL!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, front set at 0.85 w/ eibach coils metalcast red, driver's side lean spacer, rear tsb leaf pack with tsb aal from toytec, 265/75/16 goodyear wrangler authority, MT Classic III 16x8 4.5bs, LR UCAs
    by the title of your post I thought maybe you ate some bad tacos :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top