1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help removing instrument panel.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by vqtran9, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Oct 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    vqtran9

vqtran9 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi everyone.

I got great tips a while back about changing my fluids, and this time is a bit different. I'm trying to change a burned-out dash light (with another bulb, no fancy LEDs), and am having the damnedest time removing the instrument panel trim.

I've tried my best to follow these directions:

http://customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=77

I've gotten as far as removing all the screws before the actual instrument panel.

My problem is removing the instrument panel trim that houses the clutch start cancel, rr diff lock buttons, etc. It's snagged onto something big on the left. I thought it was the air duct, removed a small screw that attaches the vent to the duct - no dice. I believe it has something to do with the duct, but I can't remove the trim, and don't want to bust anything by man-handling it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

2003, 4x4, manual

2. Oct 16, 2009 at 1:47 AM
    vqtran9

vqtran9 [OP] Member

Member:
    Figured it out. Took a few beers, but all good now.

If anyone has this problem in the future:

It was the duct. Basically, before pulling out the trim, you need to separate the trim's duct section from the main duct that runs under the steering column. If you look up from under the column, you'll see where the parts meet. Pull them apart, and you should be fine to pull out the trim.

Whew! :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top