1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

97 cranks but won't start...at wits end (2.4L)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RaiderSix, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Feb 2, 2008 at 9:08 PM
    RaiderSix

RaiderSix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 97 Tacoma will not start. Last week it was running just fine. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, rotor, coil, cap, and igniter. I have checked all the relays and fuses and all are good. There is 1/4 tank of good gas in the tank. I used Auto Tap (laptop diagnostic) to check what I could and found the TPS, inlet air temp, engine coolant temp, MAF, and Crank position sensor all to be good. I believe that it is getting fuel because the old plugs were wet with fuel when I changed them and after cranking you can smell fuel at the tailpipe and even see fuel vapor with a flashlight. I have no reason to believe that it is not getting air. I am unable to access any Toyota Technical Service Bulletins for free, so maybe someone has a hookup on any of these TSB's. Thanks in advance.

2. Feb 2, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    maybe timing issue such as belt/chain (i think 2.4 is chain right?) take your valve cover off or see if you can look through oil fill and have someone crank it over see if valves are moving... other than that did you check for spark? (i personally stick a screw driver in plug wire...lay it near a grounding location and have someone crank it or stick a spare plug in and ground it while someone cranks it

3. Feb 2, 2008 at 9:24 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I think 350 is right, if you got fuel, air is pretty much a no-brainer, gotta b fire.

4. Feb 17, 2008 at 9:01 AM
    RaiderSix

Member:
    I finally took it to the dealer. I've been troubleshooting this problem for 20 days. I am thinking I may have valve damage or something because compression was really low on 3 of the cylinders. There is no water in the oil and no oil in the radiator, so I don't think the head gasket is to blame. I took the valve cover off and the cams are intact and the timing chain appears to be in synch. This is really a mystery and I am very curious to know what they come up with. The truck has been well taken care of and not driven hard at all. :confused:

5. Mar 14, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    TylerV

TylerV New Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    97 3.4 4x4
    This sounds a lot like my problem I have a 97 3.4 V6 Tacoma and my engine mysteriously died as well. Mechanic said the engine was seized and needed to be replaced but I'm not convinced. So let me know how it goes and what they say to you, could be a similar problem

6. Mar 14, 2008 at 9:50 PM
    RaiderSix

Member:
    I had very low compression. I pulled the head and the rings were stuck to the pistons so much that I ended up buying new pistons. I had some white goo in my tank that got all the way through the injectors and hardened up holding the rings tight to the pistons.
    Well, here's some more of my story. Mine may be a special case because I used a fuel injector cleaner that I think caused the goo in the tank.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/6053-time-new-engine-me.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/6286-my-cylinders-shot-pictures.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/6398-rings-stuck-old-pistons-pictures.html

7. Mar 23, 2008 at 10:19 PM
    95tojo

95tojo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    So IL
    Vehicle:
    '19 Cement Grey TRD Sport 4x4 6MT
    what brand fuel injector cleaner ?

8. Mar 24, 2008 at 3:41 AM
    RaiderSix