Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

BFG All Terrain TA KO Tire Pressure

Old 10-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
tr0gd0r is on a distinguished road
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tr0gd0r
BFG All Terrain TA KO Tire Pressure

Can anyone tell me what the recommended tire pressure for my tires are?

99 Tacoma with 31x10.5 R15 BFG All-Terrain TA KO Tires.

Local tire shop set them at 40PSI, the tacoma manual says something like 30PSI.

What do y'all run your tires at?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
It should say right there on the sidewall...
Old 10-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Those tires only have a max load printed on the tire side. Which it says 50 psi IIRC. I would recommend the chalk test.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
DadsToy is on a distinguished road

Air Force: E-8 Retired
Name: David
DadsToy's Tacoma Gallery
X2
Old 10-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
NraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedNraFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the chalk test? Please ignore my total lack of any sort of inteligence.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
i used to run my 31x10.5 15s at 35 psi for general on road usage. had em on my 02 ZR2. at that pressure they wore evenly and had good grip, werent too squirrely. much lower psi and the sidewalls start flexing too much, at least for my preference.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...uld-i-run.html
Old 10-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Lurker
Taco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant futureTaco Guapo has a brilliant future
Taco Guapo's Tacoma Gallery
I had two sets of 31X10.50 AT KO's on my Jeep Cherokee 4X4, ran them at 32-34 PSI and got 50K miles out of each set. Never needed to air them down even in deep sand. Great tires...
Old 10-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
Batang SMB
tacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the rough

tacoterra's Tacoma Gallery
I hav mine at 32 PSI both front and rear right now.Just about right IMO.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
I run mine at 35-38 PSI.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
Andyd103 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
Andyd103's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post
Can anyone tell me what the recommended tire pressure for my tires are?

99 Tacoma with 31x10.5 R15 BFG All-Terrain TA KO Tires.

Local tire shop set them at 40PSI, the tacoma manual says something like 30PSI.

What do y'all run your tires at?
I run my tires at 34 front, 32 rear 40 is a little high imo
Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post
the tacoma manual says something like 30PSI.
The Manual is referring to the stock tires.

I run mine at 38 or so on the road. Air down to 30 when im out on a trail or hunting, Rarely have to go any lower than that with the locker.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:53 AM   #14
DadsToy is on a distinguished road

Air Force: E-8 Retired
Name: David
DadsToy's Tacoma Gallery
The caulk test is simple.

Using a piece of caulk, find an empty parking lot or long straight section of road. Put a mark on the tire across the tread with the caulk, do it on all 4 tires.

Driving slowly forwar for about 300 feet or so, get out and look at the caulk marks.

Where are they marked and where are they missing?

If it is still marked on the outside edges and missing in the middle, the pressure is too high.

If marked in the middle and missing on the edges too low.

If the mark is about tht e same across, that is a good pressure to use.

Adjust and drive till you get the caulk wearing even and use that pressure.

Sometimes the pressures are different front to back, it is a truck you know.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 AM   #15

NraFan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsToy View Post

Using a piece of caulk, find an empty parking lot or long straight section of road. Put a mark on the tire across the tread with the caulk, do it on all 4 tires.

Driving slowly forwar for about 300 feet or so, get out and look at the caulk marks.

If it is still marked on the outside edges and missing in the middle, the pressure is too high.

Thanks. Thanks for making me feel like a TARD! Wow, that is so simple. Thanks for the information.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
USNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSNROBERTS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: IS2(AW) @ NAS JAX
USNROBERTS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
The Manual is referring to the stock tires.

I run mine at 38 or so on the road. Air down to 30 when im out on a trail or hunting, Rarely have to go any lower than that with the locker.
I agree with the above for a good set up. Commonly tires are inflated to 35 psi (on the papers that came on my bfgs it stated 40psi max) go higher and you ride center tread. This can possibly give you better mpg due to lower friction. Air down below 35 to give more grip and full tread grip. I wouldn't ever overinflated what the bfg website recommends no matter what anyone tells you. Just watch your uneven wear down the road. No pun intended.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsToy View Post

WOW... very informative.. Thanks for the post. I truly learned something today now.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:49 AM   #18
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd103 View Post
I run my tires at 34 front, 32 rear 40 is a little high imo
BOOM! just set mine the same the other day. so far so good.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
macb15 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mac
macb15's Tacoma Gallery
Does anybody know why Toyota recommends a lower pressure in the front? I just bought some BFG ATs from Discount Tire and didn't check the pressure til 2 tanks later. They set them at 26 front and 29 rear, which is what the door well says. It looked a little low to me so I set em at 32 front 31 rear. I plan on doing the chalk test tomorrow if it doesn't rain.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...tml#post921497