1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DTRL Day Time Running Light problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cheesycook, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:22 AM
    Cheesycook

Cheesycook [OP] Geek with a gun

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    I am installing my new stereo and took the opportunity to cut the wire shown in all the write ups for DTRL disabling. It worked.......but now my marker lights do not come on at all even with the lights on. Any ideas?

2. Oct 16, 2009 at 6:40 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Why didn't you do the OEM route on the DTRL? No cutting wires or anything like that. You do have order about $50 in parts but that is bter than cutting factory wires IMO. I would put the wire back together and go the OEM route if it was me. But to each there own. There is a thread on here about the OEM route and even goes into detail on how to install a switch to turn them off if you desire.

Lemme see if I can find it...

Here it is:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/1475-05-drl-daytime-running-lights-install-oem.html

Much better option. Always look for a better way before cutting factory wires.

3. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    he wants to disable the dtrl. the lights shouldn't be on with the headlights i'm not sure if they are supposed to be on with the parking lights or not. if you're worries aboot it just reconect the wire and pull out the dtrl module

4. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    That factory method is for second gens, thanks anyway. I guess I have some more research to do.

5. Oct 16, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Sorry man, my bad. First day with the new eyes so to speak. Hope it works out for you.

6. Oct 16, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    slickyd

slickyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    Could someone explain this to me because i don't get it? Why not just use the switch to turn the lights off since you'll have to use it to turn the lights on if you disable the lights any way. Maybe they arent the headlights if not where are they at?

7. Dec 6, 2009 at 2:41 AM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    UPDATE: Tried pulling the DTRL module as suggested by my local stealership. It worked!.......except that with it pulled none of my marker lights functioned. :( And for anyone wondering why I want to do this, two reasons: 1. I work on a military base and me and the guys hate being at the guard shack having bright headlights coming at us, 2. I am using Silverstar Ultras and hate to be burning my bulbs while idling and driving during the day.

8. Dec 6, 2009 at 5:19 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    You will have to replace that unit with non-dtrl flasher. If you need the part number let me know. I can check on my unit that I pulled out when I put my DTRL's in.

9. Dec 6, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    So would I replace the flasher relay and the dtrl module or replace the flasher relay and snip the wire on the current DTRL module?

Products Discussed in

To Top