1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Member - how robust are these trucks?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Billf, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    Billf

Billf [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 liter 5 speed regular cab
    Brush Guard, Small Lift, Off Road Tires, Air Horn
    First my intro - new member first post. I have a 1999 Tacoma 2.7 liter, 4x4 regular cab, 5 speed manual. Purchased the truck new and now has 159,000 miles. Small mods done by my son - brush guard, off road tires (drives me nuts), CIBI lights, air horn and some sort of cool audio system. Other then that the truck is bare bones except for A/C.

As I noted I purchased new and have used it for daily transport until it had about 50,000 miles. I also towed a landscape trailer with off road motorcycles. When my son graduated high school I passed it to him to use in college. He added the mods noted above and used it fairly regularly off road. Truck has been driven hard but always maintained. The truck now has 159,000 miles and he is purchasing his grandfathers 2004 Yukon now that he is out of school and I have the truck back. My question is what to do with the Tacoma. It has been a great truck with very little maintenance. Just had a major tune up with wires and plugs replaced. It still has original clutch. I thought about selling it but just can't seem to part with it. Other then some scratches from bushes off road and an interior that is starting to wear it is in really good shape.

If I sold it I would buy an economy car of some sorts - i.e. Honda Civic or Fit to use as a run about as my other car is expensive to operate. I don't want to throw a lot of money at it. So here are my questions:

1. How robust are the 2.7 liter engines and the 5 speed manual tranny?

2. Same for the drive trains - i.e. what kind of miles have people seen from their clutches (I know it depends a great deal on how ou drive them). Same for axles and differentials.

3. What big expenses should I expect in the future?

4. What is a good recommendation for tires that are not so agressive for off road use so they don't rattle your brains out when drive on the street? The ones that are on there are BF Goodrich Mud Terrain TA.

If the truck will be cheap to keep I will keep her as she is a great truck. The A/C is great. Off road she is a mountain goat. I am surpised at some of the inclines she can climb without engaging the 4 wheel drive. However if I need to look at major engine work (i.e. rebuild) or tranny work in the next 100,000 miles or so I will sell her. Again I know a lot depends on maintenance (very well maintained) and how she was driven.

One last question where can I find a cross reference of engine references to sizes. I noted when I was seaching on this forum each of the different engines (2.4, 2.7, 3.0) all have different codes and noted commonly in posts.

Any thoughts, input or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 16, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW! The 2.7 is one of the strongedt engines produced by Toyota. :)

3. Oct 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Its just broken in. Keep it until it rolls 300,000.

4. Oct 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you familiar with the frame rust warrantee?

I think that's the biggest issue currently with any of the 1st generation trucks. Other than that, the 1st gen trucks are far superior than the 2nd gen trucks (in my oppinion so far). If her frame is sound - then keep her for as long as she's running!!!

http://www.showstop.org/images/truck/rust_warranty/dealer-communication.pdf

http://www.showstop.org/images/truck/rust_warranty/warranty-policy.pdf

http://www.showstop.org/images/truck/rust_warranty/vehicle-inspection.pdf

5. Oct 18, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    Billf

Billf [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for the feedback. I am glad the 2.7 motor is a strong motor seeing from the reply here and some research I have done on the web. I will definitely check into see if rust is a factor. The truck has been an Atlanta truck all it's life to I am not to worried about it.

6. Oct 18, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    Billf

Billf [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Here is a picture of her (if I am successful in uploading). Not the greatest quailty picture.

3md3pb3o45Od5T75P799t0b59d85edb9f1301.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top