Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Headlight Restoring and Leaf Spring Opinions

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Headlight Restoring and Leaf Spring Opinions

2 unrelated questions: first - what have any of you done to de-fog your headlights? My passenger side light is extremely cloudy, the plastic has fogged over. The drivers side isn't as bad, because it was replaced about 2 years ago. I've read about sanding and using PlastX working and then others say don't, it'll make it worse. Don't know who to believe.

Second: My truck is currently in line for a replacement frame, just took it in weds. evening. It's my understanding that the dealer replaces the leaf springs when this is done? If so, what do you think are better, a set of 4 year old Alcans I bought and installed myself or some brand new Toyota OEM's? I'm thinking the Alcans, even if they are older. Do you think I have any chance of asking Toyota to install the new springs and put the Alcans in the back for me, that way I could switch them out and maybe sell the new OEM springs later?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
agapedisciple is on a distinguished road

agapedisciple's Tacoma Gallery
Last night I used Maguire's headlight restoration kit. It's just an adapter for your drill and some rubbing compound. Real easy to do and instant results. You could probably do at least 10 or 20 vehicles with one bottle.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Chrome's for Harleys and old farts
ChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enoughChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
ChrisYoTaCoMa's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.myheadlight.com/

Or you could buy this ^^^^ and never have to redo the headlights again like I had to with every other brand of "headlight restorer". This stuff is the only thing I will ever use again. yeah $20, but worth every cent. My headlights were foggy as hell, look at my pics and see them now. It has a eurathane sealer in it so they will NEVER yellow or fog again. And a lifetime warranty. If they ever fog or yellow, they will buy you new headlights. I did my step dads Sebring with this stuff, 2 years ago, and they are still perfectly clear...

As for question #2. I bet Toyota won't put the old ones back on, and if I were you I would tell them you want them back... Alcans are better, the OEM springs suck.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
xsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: AL
xsvtoyz's Tacoma Gallery
I used this http://www.amazon.com/3M-Headlight-L.../dp/B001AIZ5HY took about an hour total but now they are perfect I actually did this to my gf pt cruizer and they were bad now they are perfect. Just use a plug in drill most electrics are too slow speed.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #5
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Good to know first hand that those types of things work, as soon as I get my truck back I'm going to autozone and seeing what they have in stock for the lights. As for my Alcans, I called the dealer today and asked them to make sure they don't lose my springs, so that's all I can do I guess. Hopefully they get done sooner than two weeks, I'm driving around in a Scion Xb which was made for people less than 5'9, seriously, thing has zero leg room, and if I move the seat back far enough I've got to lean forward to reach the steering wheel. Maybe my arms are too short?
Old 10-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
PreRonner
SixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
SixtyDashOne's Tacoma Gallery
I used the Maguiars Headlight kit today (with the drill attachment), and it definately came out ALOT better... Mine were yellow and disgusting. Now while they dont look brand new, they now look normal; which i can deal with, hehe.. took me like 20 mins.. easy!
Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #7
ChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enoughChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyDashOne View Post
I used the Maguiars Headlight kit today (with the drill attachment), and it definately came out ALOT better... Mine were yellow and disgusting. Now while they dont look brand new, they now look normal; which i can deal with, hehe.. took me like 20 mins.. easy!
You better seal the hell out of them with something good or within a month or 2 they will go right back to crap. Been there.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
PreRonner
SixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shedSixtyDashOne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
SixtyDashOne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca441970 View Post
You better seal the hell out of them with something good or within a month or 2 they will go right back to crap. Been there.

Seal them with what?
Old 10-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...headlamps.html
Old 10-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyDashOne View Post
Seal them with what?
Some type of paint sealer, clear coat of some kind, 10 coats of wax...? That Crystal view stuff I put in my post has an acrylic sealer. I used that Quixx stuff, my lights fogged after a month, McGuires after 2 months, I used the 3M stuff and it lasted the longest at 4 months on a Sunfire I had. If you use that other stuff all it is is a rubbing compound, and the finish that is already damaged is removed, the plastic is unprotected, and it oxidizes again because it has nothing coating it to protect it. That Crystal View is permanent, and warranted for life. I have used it for a couple years now on a couple of my cars and family's cars. My step dads Sebring had really yellow headlights, I used it over 2 years ago, they are still perfectly clear. I did my tacoma in march, here in Florida where the sun ruins everything they are still like new.

Just a heads up. Napa must sell a sealer for the headlights. If it starts fogging, try the stuff I am talking about, believe me, it's awesome stuff.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
I have that Quixx stuff, it didn't last long on my headlights. It did however work awesome on my interior cluster clear plastic. Cleaned all the scuffs right off.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #12
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have that Quixx stuff, it didn't last long on my headlights. It did however work awesome on my interior cluster clear plastic. Cleaned all the scuffs right off.
yeah, it doesn't last as long. I used a little of it on the interior. but it's cheap and at the time I was very short on money so it worked then.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
yeah, it doesn't last as long. I used a little of it on the interior. but it's cheap and at the time I was very short on money so it worked then.
That's why I bought Quixx too, It was only like $10 at Walmart. I found that other stuff a few years back, but it is like $20+ at Advanced Auto.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #14

It looks like Advance Auto has that stuff for about $20, I'll go get it as soon as I get my truck back.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
It looks like Advance Auto has that stuff for about $20, I'll go get it as soon as I get my truck back.
Trust me on this, it works... Just take your time with it, and go with the directions. It doesn't take long either 10 minutes for each light. Do it once, and you won't have to do it again. I think it says 5 minutes for each light... But I took my time. Best thing to do is take off your grill and corner lights(unless they are fogged and you want to do them too). You are going to get lots of crap on the front of the truck(sanded off headlight coating crap), but it rinses right off. Make sure it is dry as hell before you seal it. And go in 1 direction with the sealer like it says. When you are done you will shit when you see how new they look. Any ?'s message me.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #16
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's why I bought Quixx too, It was only like $10 at Walmart. I found that other stuff a few years back, but it is like $20+ at Advanced Auto.
I'm going to try this new stuff soon. Cause one of mine has since gone back to the somewhat foggy look.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:21 AM   #17

I went and bought the CV Headlight Restoration kit, now I just have to wait for my frame to be done. I had to go visit the dealer to get new wipers for my loaner car, and they haven't even touched my truck yet. It's still where I parked it 12 days ago, but they told me all the pieces are in now and it should be done by the end of next week. I don't know, 4 weeks total, a full month, to get this done? Does that seem reasonable? As for my Alcan's, the dealer told me they are going to put the new OEM springs on and they'll put my Alcans in the bed, they won't re-install them for me.

So now I'm thinking I might just use the OEM one's for the winter and put my Alcan's on next spring. I've been considering adding a single leaf to raise the Alcans' an inch, so maybe I'll do that over the winter. How much would a single AAL affect ride quality? I'm looking at getting the one Wheelers sells, they say it'll raise the ride 1.5 inches, and I assume it'll settle a bit after a while.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #18
slickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really nice

Name: David
slickyd's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks about your truck taking so long. I got the CV Headlight Restoration kit a few weeks ago but its been raining like forever and when its not I'm working so I haven't had the time to do it.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickyd View Post
That sucks about your truck taking so long. I got the CV Headlight Restoration kit a few weeks ago but its been raining like forever and when its not I'm working so I haven't had the time to do it.
Good idea waiting to do it when it's not raining. Just remember to take y'alls time when you do it. It's the best stuff EVER.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
ubermx5 is on a distinguished road
ubermx5's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to ubermx5
I know my head light have 3 sharp spikes on the front.
For lack of a better term.

Di you gring those down at all?
or do these drill bit balls, just work around them and not get tore up?

My head light are yellow and i hate them..

Products Discussed in this Thread