1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Headlight Restoring and Leaf Spring Opinions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kingston73, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Oct 16, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    2 unrelated questions: first - what have any of you done to de-fog your headlights? My passenger side light is extremely cloudy, the plastic has fogged over. The drivers side isn't as bad, because it was replaced about 2 years ago. I've read about sanding and using PlastX working and then others say don't, it'll make it worse. Don't know who to believe.

Second: My truck is currently in line for a replacement frame, just took it in weds. evening. It's my understanding that the dealer replaces the leaf springs when this is done? If so, what do you think are better, a set of 4 year old Alcans I bought and installed myself or some brand new Toyota OEM's? I'm thinking the Alcans, even if they are older. Do you think I have any chance of asking Toyota to install the new springs and put the Alcans in the back for me, that way I could switch them out and maybe sell the new OEM springs later?

2. Oct 16, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    agapedisciple

agapedisciple Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner SR5
    Skid plate, Tonneau bed cover, Toyota bed liner, Bed Extension bar, Nerf bars
    Last night I used Maguire's headlight restoration kit. It's just an adapter for your drill and some rubbing compound. Real easy to do and instant results. You could probably do at least 10 or 20 vehicles with one bottle.

3. Oct 16, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

ChrisYoTaCoMa Chrome's for Harleys and old farts

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Ex cab 2.7 sr5 AT
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    http://www.myheadlight.com/

Or you could buy this ^^^^ and never have to redo the headlights again like I had to with every other brand of "headlight restorer". This stuff is the only thing I will ever use again. yeah $20, but worth every cent. My headlights were foggy as hell, look at my pics and see them now. It has a eurathane sealer in it so they will NEVER yellow or fog again. And a lifetime warranty. If they ever fog or yellow, they will buy you new headlights. I did my step dads Sebring with this stuff, 2 years ago, and they are still perfectly clear...

[​IMG]

As for question #2. I bet Toyota won't put the old ones back on, and if I were you I would tell them you want them back... Alcans are better, the OEM springs suck.

4. Oct 17, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
  5. Oct 17, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Good to know first hand that those types of things work, as soon as I get my truck back I'm going to autozone and seeing what they have in stock for the lights. As for my Alcans, I called the dealer today and asked them to make sure they don't lose my springs, so that's all I can do I guess. Hopefully they get done sooner than two weeks, I'm driving around in a Scion Xb which was made for people less than 5'9, seriously, thing has zero leg room, and if I move the seat back far enough I've got to lean forward to reach the steering wheel. Maybe my arms are too short?

6. Oct 17, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    SixtyDashOne

SixtyDashOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    Collegeville, PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 ArmyGreen TRD Sport, 2007 Regular Cab 4x4
    I used the Maguiars Headlight kit today (with the drill attachment), and it definately came out ALOT better... Mine were yellow and disgusting. Now while they dont look brand new, they now look normal; which i can deal with, hehe.. took me like 20 mins.. easy!

7. Oct 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    New Pioneer stereo, and all 4 speakers with Infinity components. Sirius satellite radio. Deckplate mod done. Door buzzer silenced forever thank God, tinted windows, vent visors, hood protector(bug guard), ceramic pads and new rotors, dechromed EVERYTHING. 2" Lift front 3" rear. Skyjacker AAL's and replacement leafs(and front spacers) from Fatbobsgarage.com. Skyjacker 7000 Hydro rear shocks, those Bilstein 5100 fronts are coming soon!
    You better seal the hell out of them with something good or within a month or 2 they will go right back to crap. Been there.

8. Oct 18, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    SixtyDashOne

SixtyDashOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    Collegeville, PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 ArmyGreen TRD Sport, 2007 Regular Cab 4x4

Seal them with what?

9. Oct 18, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    Some type of paint sealer, clear coat of some kind, 10 coats of wax...? That Crystal view stuff I put in my post has an acrylic sealer. I used that Quixx stuff, my lights fogged after a month, McGuires after 2 months, I used the 3M stuff and it lasted the longest at 4 months on a Sunfire I had. If you use that other stuff all it is is a rubbing compound, and the finish that is already damaged is removed, the plastic is unprotected, and it oxidizes again because it has nothing coating it to protect it. That Crystal View is permanent, and warranted for life. I have used it for a couple years now on a couple of my cars and family's cars. My step dads Sebring had really yellow headlights, I used it over 2 years ago, they are still perfectly clear. I did my tacoma in march, here in Florida where the sun ruins everything they are still like new.

Just a heads up. Napa must sell a sealer for the headlights. If it starts fogging, try the stuff I am talking about, believe me, it's awesome stuff.

10. Oct 18, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
  11. Oct 19, 2009 at 4:38 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    That's why I bought Quixx too, It was only like $10 at Walmart. I found that other stuff a few years back, but it is like $20+ at Advanced Auto.

12. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:15 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    It looks like Advance Auto has that stuff for about $20, I'll go get it as soon as I get my truck back.

13. Oct 19, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    Trust me on this, it works... Just take your time with it, and go with the directions. It doesn't take long either 10 minutes for each light. Do it once, and you won't have to do it again. I think it says 5 minutes for each light... But I took my time. Best thing to do is take off your grill and corner lights(unless they are fogged and you want to do them too). You are going to get lots of crap on the front of the truck(sanded off headlight coating crap), but it rinses right off. Make sure it is dry as hell before you seal it. And go in 1 direction with the sealer like it says. When you are done you will shit when you see how new they look. Any ?'s message me.

14. Oct 28, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    kingston73

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I went and bought the CV Headlight Restoration kit, now I just have to wait for my frame to be done. I had to go visit the dealer to get new wipers for my loaner car, and they haven't even touched my truck yet. It's still where I parked it 12 days ago, but they told me all the pieces are in now and it should be done by the end of next week. I don't know, 4 weeks total, a full month, to get this done? Does that seem reasonable? As for my Alcan's, the dealer told me they are going to put the new OEM springs on and they'll put my Alcans in the bed, they won't re-install them for me.

So now I'm thinking I might just use the OEM one's for the winter and put my Alcan's on next spring. I've been considering adding a single leaf to raise the Alcans' an inch, so maybe I'll do that over the winter. How much would a single AAL affect ride quality? I'm looking at getting the one Wheelers sells, they say it'll raise the ride 1.5 inches, and I assume it'll settle a bit after a while.

15. Oct 28, 2009 at 5:54 AM
    slickyd

slickyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    That sucks about your truck taking so long. I got the CV Headlight Restoration kit a few weeks ago but its been raining like forever and when its not I'm working so I haven't had the time to do it.

16. Oct 28, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    ChrisYoTaCoMa

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Estero, Floriduh
    Vehicle:
    Good idea waiting to do it when it's not raining. Just remember to take y'alls time when you do it. It's the best stuff EVER.

17. Oct 28, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    ubermx5

ubermx5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clara CA
    Vehicle:
    98 2.4 5 speed
    K&N Air filter
    I know my head light have 3 sharp spikes on the front.
    For lack of a better term.

Di you gring those down at all?
    or do these drill bit balls, just work around them and not get tore up?

My head light are yellow and i hate them..

18. Oct 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Blue Magic headlight restorer. It costs 8 bucks at Autozone for a whole bottle that can be used for probably 20 headlights. Use some 2000 grit sandpaper and then buff it in with a clean towel.

Toyota's usually pretty cool about aftermarket stuff and the rust recall.

Products Discussed in

To Top