Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Whining sound from Engine

Old 10-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
MarksTac is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
MarksTac's Tacoma Gallery
Whining sound from Engine

My truck is making a very loud whining sound when I raise the Idle (moving or not). I have searched online to find out what this is and gotten a hundred different possibilities. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
sounds to me like it may be a belt or a pulley.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Do you offroad much or drive in/around water or mud?

The 3.4L A/C idler pulleys (bearings) tend to be the first to go...they get water in the bearings and start squeeking & will eventually stop working.

Easy to replace. You can get an entire pulley replacement from the dealer for a decent price. If you just replace the bearings - make sure you get the proper bearings. Even though a bearing can & will fit -doesn't mean it'll handle the rpm's. Ask me how I know...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
tt01 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
tt01's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same sound coming from my 2001 2.7L and i think it is the power steering pump going out
Old 10-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
I took my truck in yesterday for the exact some reason. I went through some mud & water and, like JANSTER said, mud got into my idler pulley. It got into my bearings and started wearing them out. Apparently the dealerships do not sell the bearings and only sell the idler pulley entirely so I had to purchase the entire thing. I had it installed and parts and labor cost me less than $100. Hope it works out for you.

EDIT: I didnt get it installed at the dealership, rather by a mechanic