1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Fluid Question...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by monoman, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Oct 27, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    monoman

monoman [OP] Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    I'm gonna be replacing my stock length rear brake line with an extended one soon. (I installed new rear springs with 2" of lift, and it looks pretty tight when it's at full droop, so it will have to be longer). My question is, I'll be bleeding the brakes so obviously I'll need to refill after bleeding them. What kind should I use? I don't need to go synthetic or anything like that, so can I just use regular brake fluid you get at the auto stores?:confused: Thanks guys!

2. Oct 27, 2009 at 11:39 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Castrol LMA synthetic brake fluid excedes Dot 3 and Dot 4 Specs. If you are flushing the system, I would switch it over to synthetic, but any quality Dot 3 should be fine. JMO.

3. Oct 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Look in your owners manual for the proper type needed.

The most important part isn't the fluid itself assuming you're using the proper type. The bleeding process is the critical thing.

4. Oct 27, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    I just did this over the weekend and I used Prestone DOT4. I run it in the bikes that I work on and it works great. There are better fluids out there but for me its a truck and not a race car. You can get this for $2.67/bottle at WalMart. I only used 1 bottle but I was getting down to the end of it and I only bled the lines enough to get residual air out.

Get a pen torch to heat the stock brake fittings and definitely get yourself a 10mm line wrench. The fittings are made of a soft metal and you will strip the nut if you use an open end wrench. Getting the rear lines off the top fittings is difficult because of the limited clearance. Roll the truck up onto ramps and drop the spare tire. You'll be able to sit up under the truck to work.

Edit; My Gen 2 has 10mm fittings...don't know about your Gen 1 - sorry.

5. Oct 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    monoman

monoman [OP] Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Thanks for the info guys! I'll look into it.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top