Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Low cost bed bike racks

Old 01-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #21
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post
Nice! What are the mounts in the rail?
rocky mounts
Old 01-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #22
Taco Joe is on a distinguished road

Taco Joe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post
here is one i made from an old hockey stick and a 2x6

it is just for the "extra guy"

I was going to do something similar. But decided to make a more permanent "sturdier" rack like you have. Good use of stuff lying around!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #23

So two of the Hollywood mounts came today...the other is backordered and won't be in until Friday. So I went ahead and just did the rack anyways. The third mount will go in the middle, but mounted "facing" the tailgate, rather than on top...otherwise, the middle bikes bars would hit the other two.... Supplies: $10 - 1" square tubing, $21 for three Hollywood fork mounts, $3 for misc allen bolts and locking nuts. Already had the can of rubberizing. Took off the two tie down hooks, used an angle grinder on the inside of them to get them more "square", in order the fit the square tubing. Then sprayed it with "rubberizer" before putting it back in secured by the tie down hooks. Total cost: $34. Best thing is, no drilling of the bed, and the rack is supper secure...What do you guys think?

Old 01-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Joe View Post
So two of the Hollywood mounts came today...the other is backordered and won't be in until Friday. So I went ahead and just did the rack anyways. The third mount will go in the middle, but mounted "facing" the tailgate, rather than on top...otherwise, the middle bikes bars would hit the other two.... Supplies: $10 - 1" square tubing, $21 for three Hollywood fork mounts, $3 for misc allen bolts and locking nuts. Already had the can of rubberizing. Took off the two tie down hooks, used an angle grinder on the inside of them to get them more "square", in order the fit the square tubing. Then sprayed it with "rubberizer" before putting it back in secured by the tie down hooks. Total cost: $34. Best thing is, no drilling of the bed, and the rack is supper secure...What do you guys think?

Humm... no opinions either good, or bad?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #25
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
love it. but you cant use the tie downs anymore
Old 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang123 View Post
love it. but you cant use the tie downs anymore

Well I don't use them much any ways. Pretty much just haul the bikes around. But if needed, it takes less than 2 minutes to remove the bar. I might get some new hooks, and mount them to the bar.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #27
jcmartinez17 is on a distinguished road

Name: jc
jcmartinez17's Tacoma Gallery
where did you get the hooks?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #28
kvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud ofkvnhlstd has much to be proud of

Air Force: MSgt // Security Forces   Retired after 22 yrs of service
kvnhlstd's Tacoma Gallery
performance bike sells an adjustable, locking bar for 49.00. It mounts on the top rails of the bed, one minute to install it. Comes with two hub spindles, they are adjustable so for 14.00 dollars more you can carry three bikes. I've had one for two years... no problems.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #29
deeztaco is on a distinguished road

deeztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Home Depot Bike Rack

I researched this last night and found a lot of cool examples of how people built their own bike racks. Here is what I came up with today using parts from Home Depot. Total cost was about $50. I will post better pictures in the next couple of days.
Attached Thumbnails
Low cost bed bike racks-diy-bike-rack-01.jpg   Low cost bed bike racks-diy-bike-rack-02.jpg  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #30
TACOBOLTZ619 is on a distinguished road
TACOBOLTZ619's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeztaco View Post
I researched this last night and found a lot of cool examples of how people built their own bike racks. Here is what I came up with today using parts from Home Depot. Total cost was about $50. I will post better pictures in the next couple of days.

Very nice! Do you mind listing all the parts that you got from Home Depot? And some DIY instructions??
Old 03-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #31
deeztaco is on a distinguished road

deeztaco's Tacoma Gallery
@TACOBOLTZ619. I will provide a list tomorrow night with instructions.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #32
xmixpixx is on a distinguished road
xmixpixx's Tacoma Gallery
I have a piece of plywood, with the fork mount mounted onto it. To help keep it still I got some 1/2" plastic tubing and put strips on the bottom. It helps absorb some vibration and keeps the rack steady. I have a QR-20 which makes it difficult. I may end up getting a hurricane fork-up or something, as the 20mm adapter for my mount makes it difficult to get the bike in.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #33
ricktaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
ricktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post

I do something like this with the mounts but I screw them down to a 4x4 that's the width of the bed and I don't fasten it to the bed. Never had a problem with it even at highway speeds. Easy to take out and costs very little.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #34
asus611 is on a distinguished road
asus611's Tacoma Gallery
I did the PVC pipe rack thing. Its great, no taking off the front wheels, and my setup allows me to put 5 bikes in the bed. Well really its setup for 3 bikes, but you can still put in 2 bikes backwards.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #35
azn toyo is on a distinguished road
azn toyo's Tacoma Gallery
I made the PVC one that you had a link to in the first post. Like you, I didn't feel like taking the front wheel off in fear of leaving it by accident. I have a 96 reg cab and my bike fits perfectly. I still use a buggy for insurance though.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #37
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeztaco View Post
just found this thread. got inspired to build one of my own for now I can use it for a 20", but will have to extend the bed bolts so that I can lock in my lowrider bikes. got all bolts from a local hardware store for $8, the metal brackets I found those laying around in my garage and just used an angle grinder to cut and drill sander to smoothen edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Low cost bed bike racks-photo0901.jpg   Low cost bed bike racks-photo0900.jpg   Low cost bed bike racks-photo0902.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #38
GutierrezL is on a distinguished road
GutierrezL's Tacoma Gallery
Hi - great bike mount! Can you share parts list?