1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loud Clunk when shifting from 4H to 2H... Help?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by twopercent, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Oct 27, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    twopercent

twopercent [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 3.4L V6, 5-speed
    Occasionally when I'm shifting from 4H to 2H I get a loud clunk when the transfer case disengages.

It doesn't happen all the time, and it seems to be more prone to it when the truck is cold, I live in a place where -40 is a common occurrence during the winter months.

I've been told that this is normal with the "One-Touch" 4wd shifter, but something just doesn't seem right to me about a loud clunk when disengaging the 4wd.

Anyone have any ideas??:confused:

2. Oct 27, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Try shifting it when you are coasting and there is the least amount of stress on it. That should minimize the clunk.

I don't want to assume but don't use it on high traction surfaces like dry asphalt that could bind it up and you'll definatly break something.

3. Oct 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    mine clunks also. like you said only sometimes but iv never noticed it depending on the temp. mine did it more before i started using it alot now it barely ever happens

4. Oct 27, 2009 at 11:08 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I have a 5 speed, and if i just drive, it clunks, but I push teh clutch in, then hit the button, give it a second, then go again. park in your driveway, truck on but not running and hit the button, you can hear the parts moving underneath, you just need to give those some time. I've also been told they clunk because they aren't "worn in" yet. mine was lady drive, and never offroad, so it made sense for mine to clunk.

5. Oct 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM
    SLOH

SLOH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    mine did that too, sometimes in sometimes out....so the manual doesn't tell you this cause i read it looking for an answer on 3 different occasions, they say that you don't have to disengage the gears (automatic) when you want to shit in or out, that you can be moving and shift into 4 H-2H whatever, if you haven't tried it in neutral, try putting it in neutral and then changing it...putting it in park will still give you that loud clunk when it dis/engages

ever since i've been putting it into neutral its actually smoother than shifting gears, you don't even notice until the dummy light's off

6. Oct 28, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I'm assuming that you guys have manual trans. if this is the case it could be a synchro issue not that they're bad but it may require a little more finess when engaging/disengaging, I've had manual trans 4x4's in the past & I usually always had to be at a complete stop to smoothly engage/disengage without a lot of static from the driveline, my 2000 TRD is 4x but it's an auto trans. & all the manual says is that engaging & disengaging is possible as long as you are under 65mph (WTF!!) I think a little clunking isn't a huge matter as long as it does engage/disengage & the operation is ok when it does & drives ok.....:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top